Thoroughbred Norfolk Southern OR Pacific Flyer Union Pacific???

Started by VNaido, February 16, 2012, 10:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VNaido

Hi Everyone!

I have recently decided to take up the hobby of Trains.

I have two options:

1. Thoroughbred Norfolk Southern OR 2. Pacific Flyer Union Pacific???

Can anyone help me please, I want to know which is the better option.

I am starting off the hobby and don't want to get the higher priced options right now.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

One can also contact me via email as an alternative: vijen2@gmail.com

Thanks, VNaido.

Doneldon

VN-

Both sets are pretty good ones for someone who is exploring going into HO model trains. I would suggest that your choice comes down to a single issue: Do you prefer steam locomotives or diesels? I'm strongly into steam, myself, but even I have some diesels. There's nothing that says you can't do the same but watch out for anachronistic match-ups. You wouldn't want to pair a huge modern diesel with a late 1800s steamer, for example, unless the steamer is just presented as a modern railroad running railfan or tourist trips. But then you'd probably just have the one, or maybe a couple, and you wouldn't be using the lokies in revenue service for freight or passengers. Of course, this will be your railroadin your world so, in the last analysis, you can do exactly whatever you want to do.

Be aware that train set components are commonly less well built than individual items in order to keep set costs low. So don't get discouraged if they don't perform perfectly.

I don't know whether these particular sets include the steel rail on black roadbed track or the nickel-silver rail on gray roadbed. The NS rail is unquestionably superior. Track like these Bachmann EZ Track sections are nice if you must put your trains on the floor or have only a temporary layout, because the roadbed holds the track together much better than the rail joiners used for track without roadbed. I wouldn't use roadbed attached track for a permanent layout because it is expensive compared to the alternatives and the frequent rail joints can lead to electrical conductivity issues, at least with DCC. But it is completely fine as starter track or for layouts which must be disassembled between running sessions. In the long run, a permanent set-up will give you much more reliable service and more fun than will something you must spend as much time on taking down as putting up.

One last comment: Don't buy your set from a toy store or a merchant who wants full list price. You can buy these things online with a major discount. One good place to try is My Favorite Place on ebay. They have a pretty good selection of merchandise and their prices are competitive on most thing most of the time.

Welcome to model railroading and this board. I look forward to hearing more from you and seeing the results of your modeling.
                                                                                                                                                                                              -- D

VNaido

Thank you Mr Doneldon, Appreciate your advice on this.

Regards
VNaido

mhampton

If I'm wrong, I apologize up front, but I think when Doneldon said to shop "My Favorite Place" on eBay, he actually meant "The Favorite Spot."  Incidentally, they have their own online store now at /http://www.thefavoritespot.com/.  The prices in their store are actually a little better than their buy-it-now deals on eBay, too.

Doneldon

Quote from: mhampton on February 17, 2012, 09:49:31 PM
I think when Doneldon said to shop "My Favorite Place" on eBay, he actually meant "The Favorite Spot."

mh-

You are absolutely correct. These things seem to happen more and more
often as I get older. Do you think there's a connection?
                                                                                   -- D

VN-

It's just Doneldon, without the Mr.  Dennis is my last name. Don't
worry, though. People see it the other way all the time.
                                                                                   -- D