News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

headlight replacement on 2-6-6-2

Started by ray schofield, February 29, 2012, 07:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray schofield

How do I change the headlight on the 2-6-6-2 and are they replacements available? Thanks

Tom M.

Ray,

I've never worked on this particular model.  Can you tell if the headlight uses a light tube?  On most Bachmann locos I've worked on (except the Richmond American), the LED to illuminate the headlight has been in the boiler shell and an attempt to transfer the light to the headlight or backup light is through a poorly designed light tube.  In these instance, I've remove the light tube and install an 0603 SMD LED within the headlight casting.  The ones I like to use come with a 6" length of magnet wire attached.  Once I access the factory LED within the boiler, I remove it and connect the SMD LED wires to the appropriate +/- connections.

Doing this provides a nice and bright headlight.  The only problem is it generally takes 2 hours to do because you have to fully tear down the loco to get access to the LED within the boiler.  Making the parallel change to the tender backup light is a much easier operation (usually less than 15 minutes).

Good luck,

Tom

ray schofield

Tom
  No the headlight is mounted on the front truck on the pilot deck since the boiler swings on curves. The headlight looks like the LED is molded into the headlight casting with the two leads coming out the back bent at 90 degrees into the pilot deck and locked solidly . It appears that the wires are attached inside the pilot deck which I cannot seem to get apart.. I have had the boiler off and the weight loosened, but the issue is how the LED is installed in the headlight casting and fastened to the deck.

Tom M.

Ray,

Are you unhappy with the brightness of the LED or the color?  If it is color, you may be able to remove the lens from the headlight casting to gain access to the LED.  I usually do this by working the tip of a #11 exacto blade around the edge of the light casing.  You could then "snip" the LED leads at the outside rear of the casting and push the LED out towards the front.  You could then install either a sunny white or golden white 0603 SMD LED in the casting and connect the wires to the portion of the factory LED leads left coming out of the pilot truck.

If it is brightness, you will need to trace where the resistor is placed for the headlight.  For some Bachmann locos I've found it in the boiler while others I've found on the circuit board in the tender.

Good luck,

Tom

ray schofield

ray schofield

How do I get an answer from Bachmann?

bobwrgt

If your model is DCC make sure headkight is turned on with thr proper function CV.

Above click on the tab for parts and service. Then product referance. You will find a parts diagram.

Looks like the led is puished in from the rear of the housing and attached to the front truck with 2 tabs on the bottom. This should release it from the truck.
I would check and make sure you are getting power to the led. With a meter. Check the connections to the led at the back. If you have power then i would take it apart and install a new led. Or You can then order the new parts you need.

Best way to get an answer from Bachmann is to call Parts and Service direct. They are slow with email request.

Bob

ray schofield

Thanks Bob but have tested power and have power. I cannot see how the LED is attached to the pilot deck. the blowup is not clear and why do they call this ask the Bachmann if he doesn't respod?

Rangerover1944

Good Luck with replacing the headlight led. I had to tear down my brand new out of the box 2-6-6-2 after 45 minutes of running. The front trucks quit turning! But in tearing it down I did take notice of the front headlight led after all I had to cut the wires to the led to get to where I needed to go, but resoldered them when I put her back together and covered with heat shrink wrap. No other way! I do believe it is molded in the assembly. As I did my search on google to find out how to even find the screw that holds the boiler top on, I found this about the front led "[b]replacing the LED(light emitting diode)in the headlight, was real job!
One must remove the upper boiler shell, gain some slack in the wiring, and then
remove the pilot, to get to the LED, in the light casting! Ugh, what a job!
One must be very careful handling the loco, as most of the added on detail parts
are "VERY FRAGILE"! I broke the reverse linkage off the cylinders on the
engineer's side, just removing it from the plastic packaging! Also, I knocked
the "throttle" off the back head, getting the boiler shell off! I've got 50
years of modeling experience in HO, so be careful if you make the LED changes
!"

My problem was it was brand new in the box I had for 3 or 4 years and never ran it, so I was sure if I sent it to Bachmann I wouldn't get it back for about 8 weeks. It was a huge job for my fix. Anyone trying or thinking they can remove the gear box covers to lube it is gonna be in for a big surprise. The wiper wires are also molded in the gear box covers and if you force it the wires pull out of the solder and you must strip it, and I mean all the wiring for the whole loco to fix it. I had to stripout all the wiring to get to the drivegear tower anyhow so resoldering the wires in the gear pan cover was not a problem at that point. The universal ball on the worm gear shaft on top of the tower was my problem. It just spun on the shaft. I saw no replacement part for it on the parts site here, so I used professional super glue for the fix. Most frustrating was the wiring, bachmann uses only black and red wires and all the wires are woven throughout the weight, with no slack., along with the detail parts falling off during my disassembly. But I got her all back together and all is fine, no parts left over, and it runs excellent.

But I did take notice of the front headlight led and even tried to take the screw out but it would not simply come apart. And thought to myself if it ever "burns out", it's gonna stay out, too much to take apart to fix it.

If you're using EZ Command try turning it on with the function then number 10 key! Hope that's all it is for you! Jim

Rangerover1944

You know as I sat here thinking about this and looking at the assembly, you can probably carefully drill out the led and secure the new one with silicone adheasive, I think that's what I would do. I certainly wouldn't care to take it apart again for any reason, what a job! Jim

Hope somebody from bachmann will respond to this thread with their technical experience, for I would like to know the proper way too! Jim

Tom M.

PF,

This Tom M. has never worked for Bachmann.  However, I do professional customization work and DCC/Sound installations for folks to fund my "model train addiction."  As such, I've torn down, repaired, and rebuilt dozens of Bachmann steam locomotives.  I'm replacing failed motors in 2 PRR K4 Pacifics at the moment (well at least I will be once the replacement motors from NWSL arrive).

Tom

Quote from: florynow on March 18, 2012, 01:57:56 PM
If Tom M is who I think he is, he is retired from the Bachmann Service department and should know about all there is to know about this.  He always gave me good advice and service while he was there.

I've actually been meaning to ask about how to brighten up 2-8-0 and 4-6-0 headlights for a while and he seems to have answered this.

PF

the Bach-man

Dear Ray,
Give the service department a call tomorrow. They will be able to help.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

electrical whiz kid

Quote from: ray schofield on February 29, 2012, 11:10:53 PM
Tom the headlight is burned out
[Ray;
are you sure?  I have two 2-6-6-2s, have converted them to Tsunami boards and to date, haven't changed the lighting on them.  my assumption was that [they] are LEDs-they sure act like LEDs-Rich]