News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 consolidation random short

Started by cliffordmcf319, March 18, 2012, 03:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliffordmcf319

I have a DCC 2-8-0 w/o sound, when I first purchased the unit it ran fine.  After sitting ideal on a deactivated track for about 6 months, when operated it will go a short distance, short out for a bit, then take off and run as normal, short out again and so on.  This is my only Steam unit in my fleet and I need some suggestions as where to start looking for what is causing the short.  Here is what I have done so far:
1.  turn the unit over and checked the connections, wheels and the rods, all appear to be in order.
2.  cleaned the wheels
3.  reprogrammed the unit
I have not attempted to take anything apart without some advice first.  Any Help or Suggestions?

-Clifford

richg

Since you used the term, Short, does your controller really indicate a short?
It may be intermittent pickup which is Not a short.

Rich

richg

Since you have this loco, here is a FYI for the future which might not apply right now. Store the link in Favorites.

http://members.shaw.ca/the.trainman/LV_Workshop/pesky-pickups/

Rich

cliffordmcf319

Thanks Rich.  Yes it is an actual short to the controller.  It will reset when I remove the engine and place it back on the track.  -cliff

Jim Banner

Have you checked the tender axles to make sure that each truck has the insulated wheels on the same side?  A related check is to see if the locomotive shorts when the tender wheels are lifted off the track.  The tender must be plugged in for the locomotive to run but if the wheels are clear of the rails, any wrongly installed wheel sets will not cause shorting.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richg

Quote from: Jim Banner on March 19, 2012, 11:41:43 PM
Have you checked the tender axles to make sure that each truck has the insulated wheels on the same side?  A related check is to see if the locomotive shorts when the tender wheels are lifted off the track.  The tender must be plugged in for the locomotive to run but if the wheels are clear of the rails, any wrongly installed wheel sets will not cause shorting.

Jim

I see that issue from time to time with certain Bachmann tenders, though not all will allow the trucks to swivel all the way around.
It would be interesting to see which tenders the trucks can or cannot swivel all the way.

Rich