News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum climax- another gear problem?

Started by h-man, March 24, 2012, 05:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h-man

Hey guys. It's sad to say, but one of my favorite and most beautiful engines has done away with himself: my bachmann climax. :'( Yes, I've had him for a year. I'd heard about the problem with the shays and hoped the problem wouldn't occur in my loco. WRONG. :-\ it did. what's happening is that the motor and  lights work, but the motor will run and get slower and slower until it stops. i spent a lot of money for being 14 at the time and I'm not giving up. any help would be appreciated. thx
H-man

richg

You did not say if this is the two truck or three truck. The cracked gears on the Shay and Climax are a well known issue, not only the HO scale one.
The below link might help.

http://shop.osorail.com/category.sc?categoryId=208

Rich

WTierce1

Mine has not had a gear problem, nor my shay. My Climax has a valve gear problem. I can't get the rod offset piece back into the right position to get the rods from hanging up.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

h-man

sorry for not specifying, it's a three truck climax.

Geared Steam

Quote from: h-man on March 25, 2012, 04:46:38 PM
sorry for not specifying, it's a three truck climax.

This will be the first 3 truck I have heard about, are you positive it's a gear(s)?  At any rate, send it to Bachmann for warranty replacement.
I have had mine almost a year, and use it quite often, no problems.

Sorry to hear you had a problem, please let us know what the problem is with it. 

h-man

??? after giving it a good think over, it turns out that it's the motor. i remember turning the brass flywheel when i took it apart and the gears still turn. i will send it in, but not now. a 15 Year-old doesn't come across money very often.

richg

Connect a 9 volt battery right to the motor leads and see if the motor runs.

Rich