News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ALCO 2-6-0

Started by Ronman, April 02, 2012, 11:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronman

Does this engine have the ability to produce smoke? Can anyone comment on how it runs and the quality of the sound.  thanks

richg

Quote from: Ronman on April 02, 2012, 11:18:22 AM
Does this engine have the ability to produce smoke? Can anyone comment on how it runs and the quality of the sound.  thanks

Read the advetising of the loco. There is nothing about smoke. By definition, that means no smoke or steam, coal smell, etc.

Search the Bachmann forums for alco 2-6-0. You will see a lot of info about this loco.
I have read many good reports about this loco here and other train forums. Maybe one person so far does not like it.
If you don't count all the rivets, you will be happy with this loco.
BUT, be advised, this loco comes DCC ready for a sound decoder with eight pin connector or sound on board.
Again, for yourself, please take time to read every word in the product description. Look at the decoder document describing what is in the decoder for sound. The document is here in the Bachmann site. I will let you find the document so you can learn about all the different aspects of the Bachmann forums.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: Ronman on April 02, 2012, 11:18:22 AM
Does this engine have the ability to produce smoke?

No, thank goodness!

Unless you overheat the motor.  Not recommended.  :)

richg

This will be better.
SoundTraxx 810110

1" Speaker Baffle. Works with SoundTraxx or other manufacturers 1" diameter speakers. Includes mounting ring, two extension rings for added depth, and a bottom cap with provision for wiring the speaker. The baffle enhances low frequency tones for greater railroading sound enjoyment.

No idea on how much clearance between the PC board and rear of the speakerr. The rings might not be needed.

Here is a link to Litchfield that I use to order from. A high base would be nice but no idea on space.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/home.php?cat=235&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=3
Everyone, store the link in Favorites and check it out.
FYI, a couple companies use different impedance speakers. One uses 100 ohm and another uses 32 ohm.
I would stick with SoundTraxx and 8 ohm. That is what Bachmann uses so I will not mention other decoder companies. Those companies usually include the speaker with the decoder.
Whoever you order from, pay attention to details.

Rich

Ronman

Thanks to all of you for your input.

PhilipCal

Quick note on smoke, and this is a strictkly personal perspective. Smoke= dirty track. The residue from the smoke desends rather quickly to the rails and remains there. There is always a need to keep your track clean, but using smoke simply means you'll be performing that task more often.

rrbob

I've had mine awhile and love it.
No problems and yes, I counted all the rivets and they
are all there.  ;D
I took mine apart and detailed the boiler, looks even better.

Doneldon

Smoke units also use a lot of current which can be an important consideration if you have a low-power command center, are running many trains or have lots of sound and smoke operating at once. To me, the effect just isn't worth the power drain and, more important, the mess caused by the mi9neral oil precipitating back on locos and scenery. But I respect that others like it.
                                                                                             -- D