ICRR 908 by Lanny and some custom Bachmann Cranes

Started by Stephen Warrington, July 28, 2007, 03:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Warrington

;D Hi Guys,

Thought I would share some photos of my ICRR #908 custom kitbashed by the most talented Lanny and  my repainted Bachmann Big Hooks done for me by my friend Alex in MA AKA Guilford Guy.

In the beginning it started life as a Rock Island 2-8-0 behind is a Hallmark  Brass model with all her defects.

Lannys version of IC 908 with a Centralia Car Shops steel caboose. Pardon all the junk as this will soon  be rebuilt.

2nd shot of 908

her big sister Proto 2000 2-10-2 #2924 IC's 2542 was this wheel arrangement before being converted into a 4-8-2

ICG big hook #100434 painted and weathered by Alex. The line now has around 10 big hooks. From Bachmann, Athearn RTR and Tyco. I have always loved big cranes since I got to ride one in the IC yards at age 10.

Former  Tyco Santa Fe big hook now in modern IC paint, guess next time I will have to find some Green Diamond decals and do a set for the steam era ICRR.

The Tyco Santa Fe  crane before repainting the black one is an old  AHM crane from the 1960s.

Stephen

SteamGene

When did IC become ICG?  Was the merger between IC and Gulf, Mobiile, and Ohio?  Along those lines, did IC go through Alexandria, Louisiana?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen Warrington

Hi Gene,

The Illinois Central merged  with the Gulf Mobile and Ohio in 1972. I forgot the actual month 3 years before I was born. But I remember for years on up to the early 90s ICG, GM&O and Plain unrepainted IC engines and cabeese rolling pass my aunt's house in Bentonia,MS she lived right across the road from the Yazoo Mainline so it was the perfect place to grow up and fall in love with the IC ICG and all her many colors. Just wished I knew what a camera was back then.

I believe the IC or the Yazoo and Mississippi Valley Railroad owed by IC did run through that area of LA,but I am not for  sure at the moment. On my 1914 IC map it doesn't show Alexandria so it might have been the T&P or MOPAC. I will have to look and  see to be sure.

Stephen 

SteamGene

Stephen, I know the T&P went through Alex going north to south.  There may have been another going east to west.  The last time I was there I found the remains of a railroad bridge crossing the Red River.  I'm sure I'd never seen it before.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Paul M.

Y'all are correct; the Texas & Pacific did go through Alexandria, Louisiana.

Here is a photo of the depot:

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Stephen Warrington

;D Thanks Paul,

Very nice depot.Gene I just posted the question to the IC list to see if some of the experts will reply.I will post  the answer when I learn more.

Stephen

SteamGene

I think this is the depot they moved up on the levee and turned into a museum/cultural center or something like that.  I came to Alex several times via that depot, I'm sure - the last time at Easter, 1960 on Easter leave from military school.   I wore my full dress uniform when I took Tau Richardson to church. :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Stephen Warrington

Hi Gene,

The IC never did run to Alexandria, Heres a copy of  the post.
Stephen

I lived in Dry Prong,La which was close to Alexandria. I don't think
> the IC did. The KCS, MP, RI, NL&G did. The IC ran through Ruston, La.
> That later became Midsouth.
> Michael Hale

Mr. Hale is correct, the IC never went to Alexandria: however, it did get closer than Ruston.  In 1967, IC bought the Louisiana Midland, which ran from the Mississippi River at Vidalia to a connection with the KCS/CRIP at Packton via Jena and Georgetown.  ICG sold this line to a new shortline -- also named the Louisiana Midland -- in 1974, and the line was subsequently abandoned.

SteamGene

Thanks Stephen.  My wife bought me a map of the U.S. train system in the 1950s or so as a Christmas present, but they sent the current map instead.  Then she forgot where she'd ordered it from. 
Obviously, a current map is about useless to me.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Stephen Warrington

Your most welcome Gene,

I used to have alot of old maps digitized on my computer until the operating system fried and scrambled the hard drives thats been 5 years ago now and no one has yet been able to crack those suckers and Micro crap isn'tletting out any tips or secrets.

I don't have access to a huge flat bed scanner no more so I cant scan the maps I now have. IF I can even still find them.

Stephen