News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann's GP7 and GP9

Started by faraway, May 06, 2012, 07:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faraway

Bachmann's GP7 and GP9 have a drive with a very good price performance ratio with a new DCC decoder added. The shell is good enough to be used at operating sessions and simple enough to be used as a base for not so gifted kit bashers (like me). In case of failure is the ruined engine still affordable.

The only uncertainly are the handrails. They were easy to remove at the GP7 used for the SP but glued like hell at the GP9 used for the Corman.

I did two Corman and two SP Geeps. The Corman paint job is done with the rattle can. The SP was done with Polly Scale, airbrush (gray) and handpainted (red). Nothing exceptional but nice work horses running smooth.

Reinhard

JRG1951

The models look great! I'm using the FT units and They run pretty good. This way I can have several ABBA sets and not just one AB set of this early type F unit.

jward

as an older model railroader, i appreciate these locomotives, along with the rest of the bachmann line. bachmann has taken over what used to be athearn's specialty: reliable and affordable locomotives, with enough variety in types to assemble a credible roster of locomotives. i especially like the fact that you can get the gp7 and gp9 in both dynamic and non dynamic brake versions.

as for kitbashing, and "ruined" locomotives, aren't replacement body shells available from bachmann? if you've ruined the drive on one of these you've done something wrong. spend $20 or so to replace the body and you've still got a useable locomotive. that's what we did in the old days.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

faraway

I could not resist and kept my Bachmann GP9 / Corman GP9 roster growing :D I will spend the next time adding details.
The first impression of the smooth drive is also true for the new machines. They are smooth runners too. An excellent job of drive construction and manufacturing at affordable cost!
Reinhard

JRG1951

I too remember the old Athearn line of engines. I miss the interchangeable parts, standard motors and trucks. The Bachmann line is pretty good, but when the designs change, often  the parts are no longer available. The new Bachmann blue box diesels are pretty good at using standard parts.

I am building a fleet of FT ABBA sets and have stockpiled extra locomotives for parts. I have a couple of older detailed 4-8-4 Santa Fe Northerns that I keep running with salvaged parts from used units. The parts situation on Chinese made engines, by in large, is pretty sad for all the manufactures. Bachmann is better then most in this area

Regards,
John

denshanosenshi

Where did you get the R.J. Corman decals? I'm actually in the process of trying to kitbash GP16 #1739 out of Bachmann Rio Grande GP7 #5102.

Hunt

rogertra

Quote from: faraway on May 18, 2012, 05:17:27 AM
I could not resist and kept my Bachmann GP9 / Corman GP9 roster growing :D I will spend the next time adding details.
The first impression of the smooth drive is also true for the new machines. They are smooth runners too. An excellent job of drive construction and manufacturing at affordable cost!

Nice work, all around.  Nice locos and scenery, well done.

Cheers

Roger T.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.