The "Real Thomas & Friends" Collection Idea

Started by Choobacca, May 16, 2012, 10:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Choobacca

I was thinking that Bachmann could make a new range of Thomas & Friends locomotives called "The Real Thomas & Friends Collection".

The collection could use the body designs of real life locomotives that inspired the Rev Awdry to write his books. Bachmann already have the correct tooling for the bodies which they use for all their British locomotives.

The locomotives could have the same shiny painted finish as the existing ones so they would match the current line up of wagons and coaches, and the faces could be removeable so they could be used on realistic layouts aswell as 'Thomas' themed layouts.

The realistic body styling might also attract new customers who find the existing locomotive designs too toy-like.

What do you think?

jettrainfan

Good idea, there's no doubting that, its just that there probably isn't enough popularity to sell it. your probably better off seeing Bachmann doing a special 1 year release of a Thomas model like that. now, let me explain. the first major problem isn't Bachmann... HITT entertainment (or whoever currently owns the rights to Thomas the tank engine) has the final say what Bachmann makes. I'm sure Bachmann can offer suggestions, and probably get some say, but the owner of the rights has the final say in the end. we could probably see Hank if the owner really wanted him on the market. But anyway, another reason is because the main market of the Thomas products is young kids, and probably only a handful probably know or even care about the history the series is based off of. Members on this board would agree with this. what they see on TV is usually what they want. Now, if the market was for older model railroaders, like mid teens and beyond, the chance of seeing something like your idea would greatly increase. it just might happen, but it has a small chance... but I'm sure Bachmann will mention your idea, and you never know, it could be approved for the 2013 catalog.  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Cupix the Azelf

You really think Bachmann's going to have the time to make all the realistic body classes of the Thomas range? >:(
Thomas + Bachmann = the True Thomas Experience.

jettrainfan

Quote from: Cupix the Azelf on May 21, 2012, 02:08:06 AM
You really think Bachmann's going to have the time to make all the realistic body classes of the Thomas range? >:(

did you forget that Bachmann also sells British locomotives, I for one have given some thought about this idea, seeing how Bachmann can make this work.... then it hit me, Thomas is an E-2. What if Bachmann were to release regular models with the option of a Thomas model with no face? So it would basically be painted to look like Thomas without his face. I started to think this was a very clever idea. James isn't exactly British but an Australian 2-6-0 if memory serves correct. a website called "the real lives of Thomas the tank engine and friends" should explain the rest.

youtube account

CaptainPunjab

Terrific idea!, I definitly think it would sell.

jettrainfan

youtube account

JWR3001

I personally don't think Bachmann could be bothered to do something like of this scale at this point in time (with Hornby already manufacturing under a similar 'RWS-faithful' principle).

However, if this idea is mentioned to Bachmann sometime next year, Bachmann might consider commissioning a product or two to promote the Thomas & Friends "World War 2 movie", slated for release in 2013 (the movie follows RWS design criteria and will have a dedicated line of merchandise aimed at an older audience). That is something which, in my opinion, is very much a possibility!

More info: http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/%22The_WWII_Movie%22

JWR3001

Cupix the Azelf

Quote from: jettrainfan on May 21, 2012, 11:15:24 AM

did you forget that Bachmann also sells British locomotives, I for one have given some thought about this idea, seeing how Bachmann can make this work.... then it hit me, Thomas is an E-2. What if Bachmann were to release regular models with the option of a Thomas model with no face? So it would basically be painted to look like Thomas without his face. I started to think this was a very clever idea. James isn't exactly British but an Australian 2-6-0 if memory serves correct. a website called "the real lives of Thomas the tank engine and friends" should explain the rest.

Yes, I know that, but how could they take the time to make them more realistic/RWS-like? And to add to that, in the Bachmann Junior range or some other parts, they use Thomas's model without a face and painted a different livery to look like a typical normal locomotive (being an E2, except in Thomas's TVS shape).
Thomas + Bachmann = the True Thomas Experience.

ThomasFan247

Quote from: Cupix the Azelf on May 22, 2012, 11:08:31 PM

Yes, I know that, but how could they take the time to make them more realistic/RWS-like? And to add to that, in the Bachmann Junior range or some other parts, they use Thomas's model without a face and painted a different livery to look like a typical normal locomotive (being an E2, except in Thomas's TVS shape).
Percy was also used as a Bachmann Junior loco, but the three models (green and red versions of Thomas, blue version of Percy) were taken out of the range because consumers could make their own Thomas and Percy models at a cheaper cost than buying ready-to-run Thomas and Percy locos.

Quote from: Choobacca on May 23, 2012, 04:30:48 PM
Quote from: Cupix the Azelf on May 22, 2012, 11:08:31 PM

Yes, I know that, but how could they take the time to make them more realistic/RWS-like?
Bachmann already has molds for the real-life versions of the locomotives.
Bachmann doesn't make all the prototype locos of the Thomas and Friends characters. They only have a few of the prototypes.

Cheeky_ULP

Considering Hornby does have the toolings to do such a range and they haven't done it yet, I don't see Bachmann doing this in the near future.

PasqualeCS96

Quote from: Choobacca on May 27, 2012, 06:51:12 AM
Quote from: Sparks on May 23, 2012, 06:14:01 PM
Considering Hornby does have the toolings to do such a range and they haven't done it yet, I don't see Bachmann doing this in the near future.

I think Hornby can only make Thomas products for the UK. Bachmann have the contract for most other countries.

Personally, I think a 'Real Thomas' range would work well, especially as the new movie uses more realistic versions of the Thomas characters.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason we've only had 2 new Thomas items this year is because Bachmann might be designing a new range of realistic movie related products for next year?

Unlikely, I don't think Bachmann would release products based on just one movie, sorry  :-\

SodorAdventures

Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on May 27, 2012, 07:41:54 AM
Quote from: Choobacca on May 27, 2012, 06:51:12 AM
Quote from: Sparks on May 23, 2012, 06:14:01 PM

I think Hornby can only make Thomas products for the UK. Bachmann have the contract for most other countries.

Personally, I think a 'Real Thomas' range would work well, especially as the new movie uses more realistic versions of the Thomas characters.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason we've only had 2 new Thomas items this year is because Bachmann might be designing a new range of realistic movie related products for next year?

Unlikely, I don't think Bachmann would release products based on just one movie, sorry  :-\

I second that, also because the movie might not even come out until 2014. Bachmann makes TV models and thats their job. I can't see them designing a new range.
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

Shawn

the hornby thomas is already accurate to that.  Buy one of those <<not allowed to say that!

branmas

I see James' Tender! If you look closer to the left you can slightly see it!