News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum HO 2-8-8-4 EM-1

Started by newguy, May 18, 2012, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newguy

Hi there, can anyone tell me the minimum track radius requirement for the Spectrum 2-8-8-4 EM-1? Thanks!

jonathan

NG,

22" is the minimum radius. 

Be aware that the cab overhang is pronounced on such a curve.  If you have any scenery too close to the track, An unstoppable force will meet with an immovable object.  However, the locomotive will move through the curve with no problems.  Make sure the drawbar maintains a good shape so it doesn't interfere with the tender or trailing truck.

Regards,

Jonathan

blwfish

Also, I don't have this particular engine, but I do have a lot of big articulateds. One thing that's definitely the case is that when you're running on the minimum radius, that minimum radius track has to be pretty near perfect to avoid trouble. Any kinks, dips, or misalignments on 22" track are pretty likely to cause derailments and related trouble for this loco. And as J said, do take those first runs particularly carefully if you don't have other very long equipment. The overhanging boiler projects a pretty good ways from the track, and even the cab can sideswipe trackside obstacles - especially if you're backing up for any reason.

richg

With track misalignment, it may look small but multiply the defect by 87 and you get the real world error.

Rich

Jerrys HO

Rich,

That has to be the best description I have ever read. Never really thought about it that way. It may seem small on the layout but just picture it in real life, rail gap versus Grand Canyon.
I know a little extreme but makes you think next time the little voice inside says, it will be OK leave it.

Jerry