How do you remove the shells off Doodlebug and trailer coach?

Started by BlueFox, June 10, 2012, 10:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFox

I just received at Spectrum Item #81423 "EMC" Gas Electric Doodlebug w/trailer coach (DCC) Boston & Maine (maroon) and found that the parts sheet has the exploded view of the insides but doesn't say how to remove the shells of either.  I need to know how to remove the shells without damage to both as I want to change the docoder for a better one that will give better lighting effects and for the trailer coach I want to add a capacitor to eliminate the flickering.  For both I want to add people sitting and an engineer in the forward control cab.

If anyone knows of a decoder w/sound that sounds like a Doodlebug's gasoline engine please let me know.  ;D

Tom M.

On the doodlebug and the coach the roof and windows are a single casting.  Turn the models over.  On the bottom, you will find 6 plastic tabs along the outer edges of the shells.  You need to disengage these tabs from the floor and then pull the roof/window casting up and off the floor and side casting.  I generally use a small screwdriver to disengage the tabs.  I do this one at a time and insert a small flat-sided tooth pick to keep it from locking back in place.  Once all the tabs are released, I begin to rock and wiggle the roof casting until it releases from the body.

I used a Micro Tsunami Cummins Diesel sound decoder in my unit.  It represents a doodlebug that was upgraded/re-motored by the railroad.  I also know of some folks who used a Micro Tsunami Galloping Goose sound decoder to add sound to their units.  ESU LOKsound is supposed to have a sound unit that usable for this purpose as well.

Regards,

Tom

richg

Turn it upside down and use an Xacto knife to separate the shell from the frame. Put in toothpicks to keep the shell separate from the frame. Remove shell carefully. You cannot just add a capacitor. You need an anti flicker circuit.

Rich