News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2 truck climax

Started by towboat, June 30, 2012, 11:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

towboat

I have a exploded view of engine but I don't see how to remove the trucks form the engine.  I need to fix the brass electrical pick ups.  Can anyone tell me how to remove the trucks?

Thank you
BK

richg

Check out the Geared Steam site.

http://gearedsteam.blogspot.com/

Some times he shows up here.

Rich

Geared Steam

Sorry Towboat, I haven't had to dis-assemble my Climax, (I have had no problems) so I don't have any instructional pictures to show you.

richg

I sent an email to Dave at NWSL since he sells the replacement gears for this loco. I know he must have taken one apart to develop the new steel gears for this loco. We shall see if he will respond.
Many times I have gone to the source and usually get a good answer.

Rich

Geared Steam

It appears you have to remove the 4 screws on the bottom of the truck to access the gears and axles, but not to remove the truck. Looking at the breakdown, you may to remove the boiler/cab/tenders to access the screw from the top of the chassis to remove the truck(s)? I'm not sure to what extent you have to work on the pickups.

richg

Quote from: Geared Steam on July 01, 2012, 09:17:40 AM
It appears you have to remove the 4 screws on the bottom of the truck to access the gears and axles, but not to remove the truck. Looking at the breakdown, you may to remove the boiler/cab/tenders to access the screw from the top of the chassis to remove the truck(s)? I'm not sure to what extent you have to work on the pickups.

He might be correct. I just studied the loco diagram for a little while.

Rich

richg

OK, the below is from Dave at NWSL.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, Derrell has written up an article on things you can do (beyond the bevel gears) to the HO Climax to get it to run better. It'll be published soon in one of the magazines; can't remember which but it should be helpful. Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Derrell is one of his workers and I suspect more than Dave could put in an email about removing the trucks. Dave has quite a lot to do and I am pleased that he even took time to answer.
His worker has done a loco mod for me. Gears, motor, flywheel.

I would guess, RMC or Model Railroader.

Rich

EBradbury

Guys
To remove the two truck climax trucks just carefully pull them off. There are no screws holding the trucks on.  The truck has a post that snaps into the chasis.  To get to the gears remove the 3 flathead screws holding on the bottom plate.  Carefully set these aside so you don't loose them on the floor.  The 4 screws hold the upper and lower parts (truck bolster and gear carrier) of the truck together.

Ed