News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Track Switch Wire Extensions

Started by SwampDawg, July 08, 2012, 09:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDawg

Does anyone know if Bachmann offers wire extensions for their E-Z Track Switches?

I can't find any in their online catalog and don't really want to cut the wires and solder extensions.

Thanks in advance!

skipgear

Yes they make an extension....

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=205

Solder up your own to the correct length, its less expensive. You can buy a new freight car for what they want for the extension.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

SwampDawg

Awesome, thanks for the help, I could not seem to find them in the catalog.

I agree about the price, however the location of this layout is not conducive to being able to solder.

Thanks again!

Desertdweller

You do not need to solder anything to build an extension.  Here is how I handled this problem on my own railroad.  It may not be cheaper than buying an extension wire set for only one switch, but if you have several switches in the same general area, this will save you some money.

Go to Radio Shack and buy a pair of Barrier Strips with enough terminals to serve the number of switches you want to power.  Each strip will need three terminals for each switch.  You will also need some hookup wire, 18 to 24 gauge.  If you want to get fancy, get some small forked spade terminals.

Take the green three wire harness that connects the switch controller with the switch, and cut the wires in two about halfway between the connector plug and the track switch.  Separate the three wires back an inch or two from the cut on each half.  Strip the insulation from the end of each of the six wires.

Pay attention to which wire is the center wire of each set.  It is important that this wire be attached to the terminal that will connect to the center wire on the other set.  Attach the wires to a set of three screw terminals on each barrier strip.

Your bulk wire can now be used to extend the distance between the barrier strips however far you need.  The barrier strips can be attached to the underside of your layout with wood screws.  They come with holes for this purpose.

After you get this all installed, then install your spade terminals if using them.  They may not fit through a drilled hole if you install them before mounting the strips.

The center wire is your power return wire, the outer two determine the polarity of your solenoid,  If the switch does not throw in the direction you want it to, unplug the wires from the bottom of your switch controller, flip the plug over, and plug it back in.

No soldering at all!  Even the spade terminals are crimp-on.

I would suggest you learn to solder anyway.  There are many times in this hobby where a quick solder connection will solve a problem.

Les

sevzas

I'm hoping to make some 3 foot sections of the e-z track switch wire extensions 44598 for use by my son who has to put his trains away on a regular basis.  Each time he builds his trains, the switches wind up in different places so we need to keep things flexible.

Does anyone know if the connectors used in these extensions are available in some catalog?  Are they compatible with any standard?