News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switch Machine

Started by mpaergk, July 08, 2012, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpaergk

I am building a HO layout and have 14 turnout switches to install. I don't know what switch machine is best to use with consideration to ease of installation through 1/2" foam board and 1/4" birch playwood base and cost. Any advice on switches is appreciated.

Thanks

jward

what brand of switches are you using? that makes a huge difference in what motors you use to power them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mpaergk

I have not decided what brand of switch to get. Comparing Atlas switch machines vs. Tortoise. Again, ease of installation (under table) and cost are considerations. Thanks for any advice.

jward

from my experience with both, the atlas are much flimsier than the tortoise. they work well with atlas switches but not much else. tortoise will work with almost everything, with one simple  modification. the actuating wire supplied with the tortoise is not stiff enough, so i'd replace it with ine made from .032" piano wire.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

I must agere.  I started out with the Atlas machines.  They were a good 'temporary' machine. Have been switching them out, one-by-one, for the Tortoise machines. 

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

The twin coil machines work good with AC voltage but the "snap" action takes its toll on the turnout parts if they are used a lot. Some do not like them because they do not operate prototypically.
The Tortoise are made to run on 12 VDC but look better running when using 9 VDC if you count a lot of rivets. The points move slower. The Tortoise also have contacts for power routing. The stiffer wire is a good solution. With the Peco, it helps to remove the part that keeps the points closed. The Tortoise always has power going to it if wired correctly as that is what keeps the points up against the rail.

Rich

Bucksco

Just a reminder - this is the BACHMANN online forum....

jward

two things i've found through experience:

1 twin coil switch motors work just as well on dc as they do on ac. think about it. many who use twin coils also use capacitor discharge circuits to throw them. capacitors hold a dc charge, to them ac is a short circuit.

2. properly adjusted tortoises do not need to be powered at all times. there is enough torque in the gearing to hold the points without power. knowing this, you can lower the current draw on your power supply.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe323

Quote from: jward on July 10, 2012, 02:40:59 AM
two things i've found through experience:

1 twin coil switch motors work just as well on dc as they do on ac. think about it. many who use twin coils also use capacitor discharge circuits to throw them. capacitors hold a dc charge, to them ac is a short circuit.

2. properly adjusted tortoises do not need to be powered at all times. there is enough torque in the gearing to hold the points without power. knowing this, you can lower the current draw on your power supply.

This is exactly my experience as well except the CDU is connected to the AC terminals on the old power pack I am using so if what youy are saying is true the CDU has a rectifier as well.  I did not build it.

jward

look for a couple of diodes or a bridge rectifier in the circuit. if you can use it on ac, there has to be something to convert ac to dc before it gets to the capacitor.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

This is all you need for twin coil machines. Everyone, store the link in Favorites. Give a link or photo when posting a suggestion. For new people, this makes the project easier to understand.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Circuitron-5303-Snapper-Switch-Machine-Power-p/800-5303.htm

RIch