News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

pr0blem with 2-6-0 mogul

Started by borduas, July 11, 2012, 12:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

borduas

I carelesslt overtightened the hex nut on the left center wheel of the locomotive. The head broke off. The shaft of the nut is firmy seated in the shaft that holds the rods to the center wheel. How can I repair this. Advice much appreciated   Tks

Sleeping Bear

If you get the shaft out a new bolt should do....to do that the first thing I would try(if you cant get on it at all with pliers or anything) is a left hand drill bit....smaller than the broken bolt in question of course.... these can be had at better auto parts stores and Fastenal if you have one around you....can most likely be found on line....just drill slow and in reverse.....if it doesn't turn out try an easy out....when drilling make sure you keep the bit centered...

Hope this helps...   Later All.....    S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

hanssml

The right way is to purchase a new center wheel set but that gets complex as it is the one where the motor attaches and drives the gear. You could just very carefully epoxy the hex screw head (that's what it really is, not a nut) to the broken end of the screw and the end of the shaft that it is screwed into. There really is little stress on the screw head as the stress is on the shaft that carries the side rods. Another way might be to solder the screw head to its' broken shaft by tinning the end of the screw that's in the shaft and the back of the hex head and then putting them together and heating them through to face of the hex head. Hard to do as you need to hold them in position and ideally put pressure on them. You would need a good soldering gun. I think I would go with the epoxy as if it comes apart again or does not work at all you can always get a new wheel set. It might be a good idea to get a new wheelset now as if you wait until your repair fails Bachmann may no longer have it available. There are easy-out bits that size I think but you need to drill a small hole in the center of the stuck screw and that will be hard to do. Hope this helps.
Hanssml

Loco Bill Canelos

If there is any way you can file down the broken part and slip the driver off then grip the broken stem with a mini locking pliers to get it off, I would try that first. If that doesn't work I would try the easy out,  You can use a normal drill to make the hole in the center, then insert the easyout and turn the bad part out.
If all else fails go for the driver replacement. 

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

borduas

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Since I know the screw shaft is logged very firmly in the center wheel I am lery about having any luck with the easy out procedure. My preference is to purchase a center wheel set and have a dealer here that I know install it. It is advantageous for me to have it done here since I live in Canada and there are the hassles of customs etc with sending to Bachmann. I have spoken with the repair team at Bachmann and there are no wheel sets for this loco available and no expectation of when they might be. They referred me to customer service for options , one of which is to send the loco to them for and "upgraded version" I have tried to get a hold of the customer service manager re this but no luck as of yet. Given your obvious experience with this loco, can any of you tell me where I can find a center wheel set besides Bachmann and do you have any idea what is meant by and "upgraded version" Tks very much in advance for your additional help on this

hanssml

I have two names at Bachmann you might try. James ,in customer service was helpful to me . The Service Managers name is Laura Harris. If you don't have the phone # it's 215-533-1600.
As far as "updated version"; I spoke with James about warrentee service on my very old 4-6-0 Big hauler battery powered, radio control engine and he said what they would do is replace it for me with the latest version track powered model. I just need to send them the engine and a check for $100.00. Sounds like not a bad deal but I have not done that yet. I may do so shortly. Good luck.
Hanssml

NarrowMinded

Find a local antique/vintage clock/watch repair shop ask them if they can remove the broken part of the screw for you, they have all the tools and skill to do such a job with out destroying your locomotive. call around for price, then round up a new bolt.

NM-Jeff