News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 16301 Track Cleaning Tank Car

Started by MR536, August 09, 2012, 08:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR536

Has anyone used this type of cleaning car with the Dry Cleaning method before? 

Jerrys HO

MR
I use it on a weekly basis. I have also bought a replacement pad and use one for wet cleaning followed by a dry wipe.
To me this is not intended as your only way of cleaning the track. I still hand rub all my tracks every couple of month's. The track cleaning car runs to keep it from building up in between thorough cleaning.

Jerry

MR536

Thanks Jerry..

Was wondering if this drycleaning method was worth the investment.  Yes I too have the wet cleaning materials...thanks again

Marv

Jerrys HO

I think it is worth it. Running once a week behind a couple of other tankers keeps the track cleaner between major cleans.

Jerry

MR536

Are there any chemicals associated with this drycleaning?

Jerrys HO

No I just run the dry car around by itself. Every other week I soak the pad in track cleaner then run it around followed by the dry pad car. These pads are washable just throw them in the dishwasher.

Jerry

MR536

Quote from: Jerrys HO on August 09, 2012, 10:04:12 PM
No I just run the dry car around by itself. Every other week I soak the pad in track cleaner then run it around followed by the dry pad car. These pads are washable just throw them in the dishwasher.

Jerry

hahaha....my better half may throw me in the dishwasher if she knew track cleaner was on the pad...

ebtbob

Good Evening All,

I like the Bachmann tankcar cleaning car.   As a matter of fact,  I have four of them.    Every mainline train on my railroad has one of the cars at the end of the train,  right before the caboose. 
      Where I differ from others is I have replaced the Bachmann pads with the replacement pads for the Walthers track cleaning car and I feel they do a better job cleaning the track without reducing the rolling quality of the tankcars which I feel are best available using a skidder type cleaning apparatus.  It is a five minute retrofit and the pads are significantly cheaper than the Bachmann version.   Sorry to Bachmann for this last comment,  but as a retiree on fixed income,  every dollar counts these days.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

MR536

Well...I just ordered 1 a few minutes ago...having never ran a drycleaning type before...should be interesting to watch it clean....I will keep that dishwasher in mind Jerry  8)

Thanks to all

Marv

Semper Fi

Doneldon

MR-

Just to be clear, the track cleaner pad in the dishwasher comment was not a joke. That is the recommended way to clean it.

Many model rails still run a box car with a piece of hardboard mounted on the bottom around their layouts all of the time to keep rails clean and polished.

-- D

Joe323

I prefer the Walthers track cleaning car.  It is heavier and has springs that keep the. pad on the track But nothing beats hand cleaning.

ebtbob

Joe,

If you think about it,  the weight of the Walthers' car has nothing to do with how well the pad cleans the track.   It is the spring tension pushing against the skidder pad that really does the work.    I have four of the Walthers' cars and have had half of the weight removed to  remove the need for some many engines to move those cars. 
      The nice thing about the Bachmann car is how well it rolls in comparison to the Walthers' car.    As I have said before,  they roll so well that I can afford to have one of the Bachmann cars on every mainline train I run,  thus my mainline trackage gets cleaned constantly.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

MR536

just an update...this Tank Car was delivered this morning and it did just what it says.  Jerry you were correct all the way with your knowledge and it is appreciated.  I also picked up on a pkg of 2 pads that were on sale.  The tracks I use are NS Code 100 and about 8 months old...but hardly ever used.....but now the fun begins as there are no more dead spots on the tracks...spent hours trying to understand the DCC wiring system but it was dirty tracks that caused the problem.

Once again...to all a big thank you

Marvin

Joe323

Quote from: ebtbob on August 13, 2012, 09:35:58 PM
Joe,

If you think about it,  the weight of the Walthers' car has nothing to do with how well the pad cleans the track.   It is the spring tension pushing against the skidder pad that really does the work.    I have four of the Walthers' cars and have had half of the weight removed to  remove the need for some many engines to move those cars. 
      The nice thing about the Bachmann car is how well it rolls in comparison to the Walthers' car.    As I have said before,  they roll so well that I can afford to have one of the Bachmann cars on every mainline train I run,  thus my mainline trackage gets cleaned constantly.

Just wondering how did you remove the weight? It does take a lot of power to push the walthers car around but when I pulled the shell it seemed like the weight was glued in solid.

ebtbob

Honestly Joe,  there is a guy named Karl who is one of the repair/install guys at my local train store who has a machine shop in his basement.   He is the one who removed the weight.    Whether he ground it off or cut it off - I have no idea.  Right now,  I have two of the Walthers' cars with a flat floor.  However,  even with the weight removed,  they still do not roll as nicely as the Bachmann cars.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress