Bachmann Spectrum Locomotive problems

Started by epeterh, August 22, 2012, 06:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epeterh

I have five Bachmann Spectrum locomotives.  Only two run adequately.  The other three all start and stop frequently.  My track is clean and I have cleaned the wheels.  Other locos run fine but these three are always a problem, a Baldwin Modern 4-4-0, a 4-6-0, and a Shay.   It apparently is an electrical pickup problem.  If I disconnect the tender and the the pins from the locomotive the sound in the tender will work, until you touch the tender or move it.  Sometimes it will start again on its own.  Sometimes you have to jiggle the tender to get the sound working again.   I'm not sure how to solve it.  Any ideas?  Very frustrated and fed up with Bachmann.

rogertra

Funny, I have over 20 Spectrum steam locomotives and I have trouble with none of them.

You have five and have trouble with three.

What does that tell you?

For a start, check out all the tender wheels are the correct way round.

Wheels on the front truck should have the insulated wheels on one side and the insulated wheels on the rear truck should be on the other side.

As for the Shay, don't own one so I can't help.

RAM

I don't think He is getting a short.  I would check the contacts, and the wirering.  The track and wheels could be clean but  the contacts dirty.

richg

Quote from: epeterh on August 22, 2012, 06:41:20 PM
I have five Bachmann Spectrum locomotives.  Only two run adequately.  The other three all start and stop frequently.  My track is clean and I have cleaned the wheels.  Other locos run fine but these three are always a problem, a Baldwin Modern 4-4-0, a 4-6-0, and a Shay.   It apparently is an electrical pickup problem.  If I disconnect the tender and the the pins from the locomotive the sound in the tender will work, until you touch the tender or move it.  Sometimes it will start again on its own.  Sometimes you have to jiggle the tender to get the sound working again.   I'm not sure how to solve it.  Any ideas?  Very frustrated and fed up with Bachmann.

I have a 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 and they run fine.
With a Q tip and alcohol. clean the axles where the contacts rub. Don't forget, the locos also pick up from all the drivers. You have plenty of pickup points.
Make sure the connectors between loco and tender are firmly seated. The connector with two pins is the power from the loco pickups.
Don't always blame Bachmann. DCC is very sensitive to intermittent pickup. I see this a lot in different MRR forums.

If this is HO, you might onsider the HO forum in the future

Rich

CNE Runner

To back up RichG, my Bachmann GE 45-Ton occasionally needs the back of the drive wheels cleaned as that is where the power pick ups are located. All sorts of 'gunk' can accumulate in this location and may be the reason your locomotives are running erratically. I clean the wheel treads, of this locomotive, weekly and still noticed some erratic running. After cleaning the wheel backs the little engine ran flawlessly. Now I build in 'wheel back cleaning' into my weekly maintenance schedule (BTW: I run trains everyday).

Word to the wise: Be very careful cleaning this area as the power pick ups are rather fragile. I suggest carefully using a micro brush dipped in alcohol (and not a single-malt). I hope this helps.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: CNE Runner on August 24, 2012, 05:26:04 PM
Word to the wise: Be very careful cleaning this area as the power pick ups are rather fragile. I suggest carefully using a micro brush dipped in alcohol (and not a single-malt). I hope this helps.

Ray

Definitely not a single-malt. Save that for drinkin'. Use a blended for cleaning. ...  ;)

wjstix

1. As noted, be sure the wheels, contact sliders, and track are clean.
2. Be sure the plug-ins are securely connected between the engine and tender on the rod engines.
3. On the two rod engines, check the "apron" between the cab and the front of the tender. You should put it all the way up, put the engine & tender on the track, then reach in with a screwdriver or pencil and swing the apron down onto the tender deck. If you don't do it that way, the apron can get under the "lip" at the front of the tender, and raise the engine or tender up off the track so it's not making good contact.