News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams GP9

Started by sarin, September 21, 2012, 02:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarin

I have a new Williams/Bachmann GP9 and have noticed that the lights are very dim.    There are two light bulbs on the internal platform, however, they seem ineffective.  I made reflectors out of aluminum foil and placed them behind the bulbs with no improvement.   Is there a way to enhance these lights?   sariN

phillyreading

There is really only one way to get more light out of your light bulbs, replace them with a lower voltage bulb. Williams probally uses a 12 to 14 volt bulb, go with a 9 volt bulb and it will give you more light.

Don't try to put the motors in series as this instantly voids your warrenty.

Lee F.

M1FredQ

Hi Lee

Where can you purchase the bulbs????????

I love Williams engines but that is my one complaint about them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Dim lights"!!!!!!

Joe Satnik

Dear Sarin and All,

I am usually the one championing series motor hookups. 

Perhaps someone could start a cottage industry -- plug-in aftermarket series wiring harnesses that wouldn't void the warranties.   

The stock lamp is a #53, or CM53 (for "Chicago Miniature").  Radio Shack's part number is 272-1117.  But that won't help you. 

A lower voltage mini-bayonet (BA9s) base incandescent lamp is the  #51, which is 7.5 Volts

It's available on-line or e-bay, or at some auto parts stores.   

Problem is, some conventional control transformers, like the post-war ZW's, start at 8 volts ! (Most are lower..)

I suppose, in that case, you could drop the voltage with back-to-back diodes or shorted diode bridges between the transformer and tracks.

I've written here extensively on that subject.  (Use search function above with key words "Satnik diode") 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Hi Sarin and Joe S,

671 here. I found a company on the Web TrainAidsA that sells many different types of LEDS that fit directly into screw or bayonet sockets.
        The company markets these as direct replacements. The rectifier and resister built into the bulb base. No need for additional electronics.
        I have not ordered any of these yet. They look interesting and inexpensive.

Hope this helps...671

stationmaster12

Is the dim light issue a problem on newer WBB locos? Thanks!!
Keep God first in all that you do.

DominicMazoch

Town and Country has LED's.  They are bight at low voltage

M1FredQ

Can you post info on town and Country please
Those dull lights on the WBB F-3's are pretty sorry looking. I hope they are bright enough
to light up the cab too!!!!!

sarin

I found some  bayonet base bulbs at Stan Orr.   The base is marked #51   6-8 volts.    Put one in at the front of the engine.   It is very bright.   Not only is the  the headlight  bright but the engineers compartment is lit up.    Should I put a shield behind the bulb to reduce the light on the engineers' place?    What does it mean by 6-8 v, which is it?    Is brightness due to increased amperage i.e. watts = amps x volts ?   should I put in the second bulb......is this harming anything?         SariN

r0gruth

6-8 volts means that is the voltage which will operate that light bulb best.
You will probably find that those bulbs will not last very long at the normal operating voltage for most locos.
You will get brighter lights at the cost of the life of the bulb.
Personally I prefer higher voltage bulbs that may be dimmer in operation but last a lot longer.
I don't like taking equipment arart very often.
Roger