Starter Sets "G-scale" - can they run for hours straight?

Started by shop owner, September 22, 2012, 10:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shop owner

Hello, I was considering Backmann's  Model #90076 (White Christmas Express) as part of my store's holiday window display as I have been wanting to display an operating train in the window for years. My question is will running this particular model for 8-10 hours "nonstop" have adverse effects on the motor or transformer? Any recommendations for what I'm wanting to do...I already opted NOT to get a battery operated version! Thank you for your insight....Bill

NarrowMinded

Hi,
Yes these sets can run for Hours and hours, I set up a christmas layout that runs 16 hours a day from Dec 1st to Jan 1st sometimes I forget to shut it off and it runs much longer.

I have never had an issue to date, sets are a great deal and a good place to start in G Scale

NM-Jeff

Doneldon

Bill-

Yes, the Bachmann trains will run for hours on end without problems. I would expect them to last several years before you have significant issues. Even then, they should be easily serviced, like new brushes in the motor and such like. I would make sure that the moving parts of the loco are properly lubricated and I'd squirt a little graphite into the journals on the cars to reduce wear to a minimum. A little conducting lubricant (Wahl's Clipper Oil or Conduct-a-lube) on the rails would be a good idea, both to reduce wear and to maintain electrical conductivity. Oh, and replace all plastic wheels with metal. The plastic will foul your rails and interfere with your loco's ability to sip juice from them. Be sure to keep your wall wart or other controller in a place where it gets good air as it might otherwise get pretty hot which will shorten its life.

Actually, the use you describe is probably the best way to make the trains last a long time. There won't be repeated starting and stopping, speed changes, banging together while coupling, high speeds or repeatedly accelerating trains to speed, just nice regular moving along. I do suggest that you change the direction of your train from time to time to keep wear uniform. Probably once a week would do.

Good luck with your layout and Happy Holidays!

-- D

shop owner

Thank you NarrowMinded and Doneldon for the quick response...just two more quick questions. Where and what are "journals" on the train? And aren't the wheels on this set made of metal...how does the track conduct current to the motors with plastic wheels...forgive me for asking. Thank you again, Bill

NarrowMinded

Hi,
The plastic wheels Donaldon is referring to would be found on some of the rolling stock (cars your pulling) the journals are what hold the axles.

Your locomotive will have metal wheels, depending on what cars you buy to pull behind it can come with either plastic or metal wheels.

NM-Jeff

Bucksco

I have worked on public displays many times and no matter how bullitt-proof a model train may be it is still a machine and machines require constant care and maintenance. Parts need to be lubricated, track needs to be kept clean and parts do eventually wear out. You can't drive your car for a hundered thousand miles without fluid changes and replacement of worn out parts. Constant running will absolutely wear out parts. I have always suggested either a "push button" or a motion sensor to start the trains and allow them to run for a certain amount of time. They will last much longer that way. It is also advisable to have a back-up loco so that if something does break down you will be able to replace it quickly while trouble shooting.

mabloodhound

Good info from the Yardmaster.   Or even and On/Off timer.
However, DO NOT put any oil on the rails!   It will collect dust and grime which will then need constant cleaning.   
Use a regular graphite pencil rubbed on the rail tops.   It will improve electric connection and lasts a very long time (all Christmas season).
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Doneldon

Quote from: mabloodhound on September 22, 2012, 05:39:50 PM
DO NOT put any oil on the rails!   It will collect dust and grime which will then need constant cleaning.   

Hound-

Used correctly, neither Wahl Oil nor Conduct-a-Lube will gather dust. The trick is using less than what you think isn't enough.

-- D

Bucksco

I think it would be prudent to avoid any type of lubricant on the rails. Keep the rails and wheels dry and clean.

Len

Speaking as someone who has maintained a multiscale shopping center layout for the last 8 years I would suggest:

A. Get a second loco along with the set. They do have to be serviced periodically, and kids don't like if when they come to see the train run and there are just some cars sitting there doing nothing.

B. If at all possible, get some larger curves than what comes in the set. Those tight curves put a lot of stress on a mechanism when it is running for hours. I learned this on the hard way. Your train will also look better on larger curves.

C. Do NOT put oil, graphite, or anything else on the track. That may be fine on a home layout. But in a commercial setting, with doors constantly opening and people going in and out, the dust and dirt level is much higher than in a home. And the oil/whatever will attract and hold it, so just keep the track and loco wheels clean.

A Walthers 'Bright-Boy' http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/949-521 works great for cleaning wheels. Just use a towel in a box to cradle the loco upside down, apply power, and hold the Bright-Boy against the wheel. Scrub the BB on a piece of sand paper to clean it when it gunks up. A sponge with a blue 'Scotch-Brite' pad attached can be used dry for the track.

D. Put a drop of light oil on the loco axle bearings daily if you will be running 8-10 hours a day. With that much running, grease the worm gear and worm wheel once a week. Clean out as much of the old grease as you can before adding new.

E. Either use a 'Figure-8' track plan, or swap the direction of the loco every couple of days to even out wear on the loco wheels and axle bearings. You wouldn't believe what running the same direction for 10 hours a day for a month does to them.

F. Do pop the wheels out, and give the car journals a puff of graphite once a week or so. If you leave the plastic wheels on, wipe the treads down with a course "shop towel" every couple of days to get the gunk they collect off.

G. Timers and buttons that trigger timed relays do reduce wear on the motor and bearings. The trade off is the sudden stops, and starts with full running power applied does increase wear on the gears. Especially if the worm on the motor shaft is metal, the worm wheel is nylon or plastic, and kids are lined up to "push the button".

H. Even with a small display, use at least two power connections to the track.

I. No more than two passenger cars, or two set size freight cars and a caboose for the train. Long trains look cool, but the more weight you put behind a loco running all day long, the faster it wears out.

J. Make sure all of the track is accessable in the event of a derailment. Having the track run behind a Christmas tree in a blind corner may look nice. But I guarantee if there's a problem, it will be in back of the tree.

K. Related to the above, if there's any way to shield the layout from customer thrown items, do it! Our worst disaster happened when someone tossed half a sub sandwich over the plexiglass wall around the layout. It landed on the Large Scale track and sent a $400 loco, two scratch built log cars, and a caboose on a 3ft 6in trip to the floor.

Some of this is different than I'd suggest for a home layout, but a commercial enviroment full of people isn't a home.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

NarrowMinded

Hi,

Don't get put off by all the suggestions, they are all great and will allow your train to run for a very long time.

I do think some of them are over kill, i would lube it once a month and switch the direction the loco runs, if it were a very expensive locomotive I may switch to once a week

shop owner

Wow you folks have been great with all your knowledge/experience. I now have enough information to proceed with my holidays plans. Thanks again...

Bill