News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 questions

Started by blwfish, September 24, 2012, 07:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blwfish

Is it safe to assume that all current production locomotives are at least DCC-ready? In this case the specific question is about the Alco 2-6-0. Are units equipped with smoke still DCC ready? I presume that there's no major issue with disconnecting the smoke unit in such a model. The web site is anything but illuminating about such details.

In my case the paint scheme doesn't matter (it will have to be repainted entirely anyway), so all I really care about is how much effort goes into making it ready for use on a DCC layout. Obviously I'd get a DCC/sound unit if I can find one, but they're hard to find.

beampaul7

BLW FISH, the Alco 2-6-0 does not have a smoke unit

Paul G

genetk44

I think they are all either Dcc ready or Dcc equipped. No smoke-units that I am aware of.

wjstix

Most (if not quite all) engines offered in the last 10 years or so have some sort of DCC plug (eight pin or nine pin). The Bachmann engines I have all have an eight pin receptacle. On sound units, the sound/DCC decoder is plugged into it.

richg

Quote from: blwfish on September 24, 2012, 07:46:47 PM
Is it safe to assume that all current production locomotives are at least DCC-ready? In this case the specific question is about the Alco 2-6-0. Are units equipped with smoke still DCC ready? I presume that there's no major issue with disconnecting the smoke unit in such a model. The web site is anything but illuminating about such details.

In my case the paint scheme doesn't matter (it will have to be repainted entirely anyway), so all I really care about is how much effort goes into making it ready for use on a DCC layout. Obviously I'd get a DCC/sound unit if I can find one, but they're hard to find.

The details for a loco are advertised. Read everything.
Very few companies will tell you what the loco DOES NOT have.
The DCC sound loco documents are right here in the Bachmann site. Do not assume the loco has all the sounds that a decoder has that you by and install yourself. Some make that mistake and try to blame Bachmann.

The 2-6-0 is not hard to find. A couple sources have been mentioned here. About $120 for a 2-6-0 with sound.
Other Bachmann DCC ready, DCC on board and on board sound are available in quite a few sites at good prices if you know how to shop on line.

Rich

richg

Many of the loco diagrams are here also which will give you an idea of what is inside the loco and tender.

Degree of modification will depend on what you want to do and the loco itself.
Some installs will require soldering iron experience.

Rich

blwfish

First, my favorite supplier has some 56514's in stock that are clearly labeled both there and here at Bach-man's site as having smoke units.

Second, unless I misinterpreted the diagram, it is generic to the 2-6-0, and does not clearly indicate the differences between, say, a 56514 with smoke and another unit advertised as having no smoke but DCC/sound.

Finally, and I didn't mention this before, but already have a QSI Titan sound decoder on hand, so I really am preferring to buy a DCC-ready unit and plug in the decoder and speaker.  (Titans come with speakers, and I prefer to standardize on them for any sound that I install. So far I haven't found it necessary or even appropriate to replace a Tsunami or Loksound unit.)  Because I have an appropriate full-function decoder on hand - it even is loaded with the small steam sound set - I would prefer to avoid a DCC/SoundValue unit.

So... a more direct question: is the 56514 - the one with a smoke unit - DCC ready?

beampaul7

BLWFISH, The ALCO 2-6-0, as I stated before, the one that can be had with a Sound Value decoder or 8 pin plug is not avaiable with smoke.  The old 2-6-0 based on the USRA 0-6-0 is not what I'm talking

about but apparently is available with smoke and DCC.  Please forgive me but I'm not about to go chasing thru the product index looking for the number you mentioned.  To further elaborate about the above, the ALCO 2-6-0 has a road pilot while the USRA 2-6-0 has a footboard pilot.  Please forgive my testiness I mean no disrespect.

Paul G

Doneldon

BLW-

56514 does not have DCC. I believe you can put it in though it may be a considerable task since the loco is not listed as DCC ready.
It is not a particularly great model in that, ven though it has a footboard pilot which identifies it as a switcher, it does not have an
operable front coupler. I'm guessing that you'd be much happier with one of the new Moguls which has sound and is a superior model
overall.
               -- D

electrical whiz kid

Just for giggles, I c hecked in the parts dept, and there is a universal smoke unit.  I don't know how hard it would be to retrofit into a Bachmann locomotive, but I'd bet money that being it is sold by Bachmann, that their engines would be the specs this works for.
Also, Doneldon;
I am trying to find Bachmann's vanderbilt tenders.  There is a certain one I want, and do not have any luck so far.  I wolds hav e thought it would have been in parts, but nada.
Whatever fedback you have will be good.
Richie C.

richg

A little research in the Bachmann forums will usually answer a lot of questions as will a Google search.
Research is something we learned in high school.
The big plus is, we can accumulate a lot of good links to store in Favorites if you use IE or Bookmarks if you use FF. A big help in modeling.
You can also open multiple browsers to compare data and even a Word document to make notes.
Our PC's are powerful devices that many of us fail to use to its full potential and you do not have to be a PC guru. You just need some determination.

Rich

Doneldon

whiz-

Bachmann hasn't sold many tenders separate from their accompanying locomotives. I think the reason is that their tenders are not
universal, that is, you can't just put any tender behind any locomotive. Cataloguing and keeping inventory would be a nightmare.
So ... check ebay and other online sites. Eventually you'll find what you are looking for but I have no idea how long it might take. If
I had to guess, I'd say quite a while. You can probably increase your chances if you watch for tenders from other manufacturers,
too, including brass.
                                  -- D

electrical whiz kid

Hi Don;
Actually, a few years back, Bvachmann sold three types of tenders under the "spectrum" line; a long vanderbilt, a medium sized (why do I feel Like I am doing "The Three Bears"?) and a short "sort of" vanderbilt tender; not the one I am looking for.  I had bought two of the medium sized ones for use behind my 2-10-2s, and two of the short tenders for used behind the 2-8-0s; but the one I am looking for was sold behind what they called a 2-6-2 "Prarie"...  It was big enough to put behind a 2-6-0 or a 2-8-0.
RichieC.

wjstix

I don't know why you'd call the short Vanderbilt tender a "sort of Vanderbilt tender"?? That short type of vandy was pretty common, the DM&IR had quite a few engines with very similar tenders.

Doneldon

whiz-

I'm aware of the Vandy tenders, but they only prove my point. Bachmann has made many
tenders over the years but has sold very few of them separate from a locomotive.
                                                                                                                         -- D