News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Radius Question

Started by MSflash05, October 30, 2012, 03:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSflash05

Where would I look to find out what the minimum radius track a loco or cars needs in order to operate correctly?

From reading previous posts I see that some cars do not like 18" vs 22" curves.  When designing my track I want to be sure all my cars and the new loco I am about to buy will run smoothly.

Thanks.

rbryce1

You have to download and open the Bachmann Catalog from the "Order a Catalog" section of this site.  Once you have done that, locate the engine and it will tell you on that page what the "operates best" track radius is.

Just looking in the Bachmann On-Line Products section of this site will not tell you the recomended radius, it is only available in the downloaded or printed catalog.

MSflash05

thank you so much.  That helped me a lot.  Sad part is the train I am considering buying is not listed as just a locomotive, only as part of a set.  It comes with 22 radius track so I am assuming that is what i prefers.
However the Spectrum Pacific Locomotive that I just sent for repair is listed.  Hope they get it back to me soon enough to be a part of my set up this year.  If not there is always next year.

Thank you again for your help.

jward

keep in mind that just because it will run on 22r doesn't mean that it won't look better on a woder curve.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

sd24b

Quote from: MSflash05 on October 30, 2012, 03:31:17 PM
Where would I look to find out what the minimum radius track a loco or cars needs in order to operate correctly?

From reading previous posts I see that some cars do not like 18" vs 22" curves.  When designing my track I want to be sure all my cars and the new loco I am about to buy will run smoothly.

Thanks.

many years ago entering the hobby I used 18" rad. curves.  Then Athearn came out with SD45's, SDP40's.  they went around the curves ok, but what they were pulling did not.  If you're running longer engines(second generation 6 axle) then 22" should be you min. And yes, I know they'll go through a 18" but what is coupled behind them won't.  You'll also find some 50 and 60' cars will do the same things as the larger diesels in derailing either the themselves or the trailing cars especially if they have extended  cushioned draftgear.   Phil

wjstix

I think from looking at the Bachmann catalogue that all their HO engines will go around a 22" radius curve, but I think only a few of the smaller ones will go around an 18" radius.

I'm currently building an around-the-walls layout in my basement, which will have 28-30" radius curves, but have temporarily set up an oval of 22" radius "click track" as a break-in / test track. The only things I can't run on it are my BLI 2-10-4 and my Walthers passenger cars, both of which need 24" radius.

rbryce1

Actually, about 90% of all Bachmann engines, steam as well as diesel, will operate on 18" curves.  I won't get into whether they look better on 22" curves or not, as that is an individual judgement.  Some feel everything should run on 33" curves and others are fine on 15" curves, as long as it works for you.  If you have the space for 33" curves, build'em.  If you don't, go with what ever will fit and work.  Bachmann large steam engines, usually 8 wheels or better generally require 22" curves, and the large 6 wheel diesels the same.  This is all identified in their catalog.  95% of their rolling stock will navigate well on 18" curves, except for the passenger cars.  Practically all the passenger cars will require 22" curves.  I have run my McKinley 89' passenger cars on my 18" curves, but very slowly, and with a 40% derailment rate.  If you have 22" curves, you most likely have no operating constraints with Bachmann equipment.  My EM1 2-8-8-4 steam engine pulling the McKinley Explorer passenger cars fly around 22" curves.