News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

CN GP38-2 4723

Started by faraway, November 07, 2012, 01:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faraway

My two CN GP38-2 #4723 arrived today. The models are very smooth runner :)
I did start to think about the changes necessary for the CN specific details. Things like bell, front light in the hood etc. until I had a look at the roof! Bachmann put the roof section with dynamic breaks on the model!

Why did you do that to me >:( Couldn't you have a short look at the prototype and snap the other roof without dynamic breaks on that very model? It is a lot of sanding to get the breaks of the roof and the surface will never be a perfect match :-\
Reinhard

jward

don't feel too bad. you are not alone.

the ns gp38-2 5815 is in reality a gp38-3 rebuilt from a gp50. it has retains the outer two of the gp50's 3 radiator fans, with the center fan's opening plated over. it also has the taller gp50 radiator screens. thus the bachmann model, while accurate for maybe a 5260-5300s series ns gp38-2, is not accurate for the number protrayad.

the csx gp38-2 2186 is in reality a gp38. thus it should have a longer radiator screen and more widely spaced fans. also, the gp38s were retired before the solid blue csx paint was adopted. it would be a good stand in for a csx 2500 series gp38-2 though.

the bnsf gp38-2 2264 is close but still not accurate. the real 2264 has a nose headlight, not the cab headlight of the model.

remember, these are earlier bachmann toolings. they have done a much better job on getting basic details right on the gp7 and gp9.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Quote from: faraway on November 07, 2012, 01:27:44 PM
Why did you do that to me >:(

faraway-

Don't take things so personally. No one is doing anything to you. It's just a matter of manufacturing and marketing realities.

The tooling for a model is very expensive -- in the tens of thousands of dollars and up. With something like a locomotive there is also
the engineering and tooling for a drive system. That means huge costs. Since every railroad has its own ideas about how to configure
and equip a loco, there are a large number of differences between them. Plus, locomotives change over time even within a given
railroad's roster. Delivered locos are modified and subsequent orders vary. Throw in the hundreds of railroads in the US over the
yearand you have a staggering number of possible prototypes. No manufacturer can produce explicit models for every possible
prototype while keeping costs, and prices, within reason. So things have to be at least somewhat generic. That may mean that a
specific model is not an exact replica of an actual real locomotive. That's bad, I guess. But, and this is a big but, that somewhat
generic model which is not an accurate representation of any explicit locomotive may be an excellent example of a neutral version
which can stand in relatively well for a whole lot of models. As hobbyists, we have the option of tolerating our imperfect models or
customizing them to a specific prototype, maybe even a specific cab number on a particular day in history.

There have always been some extremely accurate models available. Hand-built brass locomotives come readily to mind. They can be
terrific, but you won't buy one for $200 including paint, DCC and sound.

o, please recognize that model railroading is like most of the rest of life. Compromises are involved and almost nothing is intended to
be a personal affront.

-- D

faraway

You are both so very right and I do not object at all. In fact I am very pleased with the model. The drive is at the given price superb and the RR specific details of the shell are not to be expected. I love the Bachmann models with their excellent price performance.

It is just the separate installed dynamic break roof part. I am very sure Bachmann has a roof with and without dynamic breaks for the generic GP38-2 shell. They did just clip the wrong one on the CN painted one.

And non, I do take it really personally. I may have missed one smily  ;D ;D ;D
Reinhard

faraway

Working on it and waiting for CN bells, CN ditch light, CN marker lights, CN decals ....

Reinhard