UP 2-6-2 Prairie & Tender Headlight and Coupler Questions

Started by Old Jimbo, November 07, 2012, 02:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Jimbo

Just bought a UP 2-6-2 Prairie & Tender in N scale, Product Code: 51551.  Started up like a champ in both forward and reverse.    I was wondering if the headlight is supposed to be operational?  The reason I'm asking is the troubleshooting language had something like, "If the train isn't running but the headlight lights up, then do the following..."  So then I thought, hey, maybe the headlight is supposed to light up on this thing?  But, yeah, seems like it doesn't light up and is only there for decoration.  The schematic doesn't have any wires leading to the light either.  But I just wanted to confirm bc my kids were wondering, "Dad, where's the light?"  Oh, also, how do you change the knuckle couplers to the rapido couplers that came with it?  Thanks!

Ken G Price

On the coupler thing. It is very easy. If you turn the engine over there should be a small cover on the coupler that holds the parts in. It may be plastic or if metal may have two tabs folded over that need to be straightened first.
This needs to be removed and the knuckle taken out. it just pulled up and out.
There is a spring in there so cover is with your hand and slowly remove it so as not to lose the spring. The spring puts pressure on the coupler to line it straight for coupling. Just look at it first so as to see what to do.
If yours is different then some one else will have to chime in.

As I have only DCC engines I can not help on the head lights As I just can push a button on the throttle to turn them on or off.
And remember model railroading and for me especially N-Scale is fun. Frustrating like any new hobby. But lots of fun once you get past the main learning stage.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

skipgear

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Old Jimbo