News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Model Railstuff Coal Loads

Started by pds1506, August 07, 2007, 12:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pds1506

Has anyone seen the coal loads by Model Railstuff?  Do they look significantly better than the coal loads made by Athearn or Accurail?  The Athearn loads I have seen were for the 34' hoppers. 

I would be interested in any opinions.  Thanks.

Car Bud

Hello pds1506  Re:Coal loads---If you mean the size of the coal load that fits a particular car --this should not be a problem if you use the real thing like Ashtray sand which is black and resembles coal,eliminating the need to fit the right shell on a car.

SteamGene

The best coal loads I know are "Hobby Loads."  Check the small ads in the back of the magazines.  How heavy does a car full of sand become? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I agree with Gene about Hobby Loads.   They are done and no two are exactly alike.
        Other good choices are found in the Walthers' Catalog,  which by the way,  is still only $10 agaiin this year instead of the $19 they had been charging up until last year.
         From Walthers,   you can choose between Chooch - $7.99 @ two loads or CM Shops - $4.50 @ two loads.

Chooch offers loads for Athearn quad hopper and 34 ft offset twin hopper,  MDC 3 bay hopper,  Accurail 55 ton 2 bay hopper and Walthers Bethgon.

CM Shops offers loads for Athearn twin hopper,  one hump or two and Athearn quad hopper.  Atlas 2 bay hopper,  Accurail 2 bay hopper,  Con Cor triple hopper,  MDC triple hopper,  thrall hopper,  bathtub gon, Ortner hopper,  Stewart fishbelly,  aar 14panel,  H39 and H3 12 panel,  offset 9 panel hoppers,  and lastly,  Walthers/TMI twin hopper or gon,  quad hopper,  Bethgon coal porter and  quad hopper.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

TexasChief

I have 28 50 ton hoppers with modelrailstuff coal loads. They also don't have 2 alike. Each one is different. They also add weight to the car, unlike most other loads. I think they look pretty good.

Dick
Texas Chief
Santa Fe All The Way!