News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Standard Line 2-8-0 issue

Started by MilwaukeeRoadfan261, November 24, 2012, 04:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I just bought the Union Pacific Standard line 2-8-0 today from my LHS and I have tried it out and it doesn't run as well as my Spectrum line one from 4 years ago and I was just wondering if it just needs to be run in a little more or if I should check the internal mechanism for something a little more serious.

Doneldon

261-

Hard to say but it won't hurt to break it in a bit. Run both directions
at different speeds and with turns to both left and right.
                                                                                -- D

rogertra

AFAIK, the Standard line 2-8-0 has a different (cheaper) motor from when it was in the Spectrum range.  Now four pole Vs eight pole motor?  Though I do stand to be corrected.

jonathan

MRF261,

Can you describe what you mean by 'not running as well'?  I have 5 Connies, from each generation, from DCC ready to Sound to Standard.  All run well for me.

Two of the Connies didn't run as well as the others at first.  This was due to split drive belts that were rubbing against the inside of the motor frame pieces.  Replacing the belts got them as perfect as the other Connies.

There may be some other minor tweak your Connie needs to get it running right.

Regards,

Jonathan

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

When I got it, I put it on the layout and started running it and it seemed ok but made a lot of noise. Then my dad told me to put the older spectrum one I have to see how the new one runs compared to the old one, and mind you, the old one has been running on my model railroad for over four years. And when I ran the two connies side by side and the old one ran much better and quieter than the new one. I will take a look inside the new one later and see if it is just a split drive belt. Thank you all for the answers.