News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4x8 layout in modular form

Started by AndyJB, November 25, 2012, 09:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyJB

Which would be the best way to build a 4 x 8 layout from modules.
Should the 2'x4' module run down the 8' side or across and what's the pros and cons?
The layout will be basically 2 loops, at one end the outer loop will run up a grade whist the inner loop will run down a grade to go into a tunnel under the outer loop.
Thanks Andy

jward

i'd use 2 4x4 modules. the fewer modules, the fewer potential trouble spots. one thing you want to avoid if possible is having the joints between the modules fall on curved track. it is much harder to et curved tracks to aklign across the modules after you've taken them apart than it is to align straight track.

if you insist on using 4 2x4 modules, align them crossways across the 4' side, rather than aligned along the 8' side. that way your turnback curves should fit on the end modules and you'll eliminate or at least minimize curves across the modules.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rbryce1

Maybe consider ...

Try using 3/4" thick plywood with tongue and groove edges.  Even though the wood sheathing would be heavier, it would need less supporting framework underneath,   It will always align with the next member.  Cut the sheet in half and use each of the two 4x4 sections.

Doneldon

Andy-

If you get two responses to questions on this board there's a pretty good chance that you'll get at least three
opinions. This is no exception: I wouldn't use the heavier plywood. I'd build two frames from 1x3 lumber and top
them with 2-inch-thick extruded foam insulation. Put two 1x3s flat across under the foam (assuming 4x4 modules)
and you'll have a rigid yet light surface. You'll be able to protect the edges of the foam better if your frame runs
around the foam rather than under it. In that case you'll need something like 1x1 cleats to support the edges of the
foam, as well as the cross braces. In either case, you'll be able to protect your wiring up under the layout. I would
mount the foam on top of the frame if this is to be a home only layout on two modules for storage, and inside the
frame if you plan to transport the modules to other locations. The advantage of the foam is that you can do
landscaping below track level, like trackside ditches, bodies of water and so on.
                                                                                                                      -- D