News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4 decoders

Started by TexasChief, August 09, 2007, 12:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasChief

Mr. Bach-man, How about a diagram or step by step directions on how to install a sound decoder in the ATSF 4-8-4 without interferring with the DCC decoder that came with it? Thank you very much.

Dick
Texas Chief
Santa Fe All The Way!

Jake

You have to remove the decoder supplied with the engine and plug in the sound decoder. It is easy, just get a small screwdirver and prise off the plug of the decoder. (where the 8 wires converge into a 2x4 set of pins) Then plug in the sound decoder (the pin that is connected to the orange wire should go into the socket with an arrow pointing to it labeled "1") And install the speaker (and baffle if included) per manufacturer instructions over the speaker hole. (It may or may not be there, I know for a fact that it is on the standard line ATSF northerns, but I am not sure about the Niagras, Daylights or Spectrum J's.)
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

Based on the decoder requipted USRA light 2-10-2, you may have to cut the capacitors, as well.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

TexasChief

sorry guys, I didn't make myself clear. I don't want to replace the existing power decoder with a power/sound decoder, I want to add a sound decoder to the existing power decoder that came in the unit. Thanks anyway.

Dick
Texas Chief
Santa Fe All The Way!

Jake

As we have said, you have to remove the original decoder (and possibly cut a capacitor or two). Which implies that you cannot do that. :|
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

SteamGene

You could add a sound decoder, but why make an easy job hard?  You can use the Bachmann decoder for something else, I'm sure. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

TexasChief

The reason being, Soundtraxx is the only manufacturer that makes a sound decoder with an ATSF 4-8-4 whistle. It comes in SOUND ONLY. Now to reiterate, I can figure out how to do it but I'm not sure it would be the best way and I wanted to know if anyone else maybe has already done it?
Thanks again.

Dick
Texas Chief
Santa Fe All The Way!

Jake

OOOOOOHHHHHH. You are installing sound only decoder! You shoulda mentioned that! Try looking it up on google.
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

ta152h0

I have the same exact project. Got the beast programmed and ordered a MRC sound decoder to be installed at a later date either on my 4-8-4 or my Decapod. I have the same anxiety how to add the sound decoder to the installed Bachmann decoder without resorting to totally dismantling the existing system. ;D

ta152h0

Here is what I am going to do. I also bought a DCC ready 2-10-0 Decapod that will house the 4-8-4 factory decoder as there is limited room in the decapod tender. Then install a full house decoder with sound in the 4-8-4 tender and thusly end up with two stunning DCC installed steam locomotives. in summary, buy another DCC ready locomotive, buy a full house decoder. It doesn't answer verbatin the original question but you do end up with two DCC equipped locomotives. Pass the ice cold one  ;D

TexasChief

Quote from: ta152h0 on August 12, 2007, 09:28:57 PM
Here is what I am going to do. I also bought a DCC ready 2-10-0 Decapod that will house the 4-8-4 factory decoder as there is limited room in the decapod tender. Then install a full house decoder with sound in the 4-8-4 tender and thusly end up with two stunning DCC installed steam locomotives. in summary, buy another DCC ready locomotive, buy a full house decoder. It doesn't answer verbatin the original question but you do end up with two DCC equipped locomotives. Pass the ice cold one  ;D

I'm sorry, you totally lost me. What, exactly, is a full house decoder?

Dick
Texas Chief
Santa Fe All The Way!

ta152h0

I'm sorry, you totally lost me. What, exactly, is a full house decoder?

Dick
Texas Chief
[/quote]

decoder with sound installed. The standard Bachmann decoder installed on the 4-8-4   only runs the locomotive and lights. there is also a smoke option that on a plastic locomotive body is not feasible.

TexasChief

I'll reiterate once more. Soundtraxx is the ONLY company that makes a sound decoder with an ATSF 4-8-4 whistle! That decoder is a SOUND ONLY decoder, not a "Full House" decoder! Therefor, I will need 2 decoders in my Bachmann ATSF 4-8-4 for it to sound authentic. Thank you.

Dick
Texas Chief
Santa Fe All The Way!

Jake

Again. www.google.com And also what kind of decoder is it?
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

Mike O.

Hi Dick,
Long time no see :)  Haven't been on here in a LONG time...
anyway, did you ever get this issue figured out?  I've never installed or even seen in person one of the sound only DSX models, but it would have to have power and ground which you could tap into from the already present wiring, and it would have two speaker leads going to the speaker, and probably the brown chuff wire for a chuff disk if you choose to use it.

Mike
"This is such a good fit, it's practically a convulsion!" -  The Aardvark