Questions about running DCC-equipped engine on DC power supply

Started by CalTex, December 14, 2012, 09:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalTex

I have a 3' diameter E-Z Track layout which runs around our Christmas tree and is powered by a basic Bachmann DC power pack.  I found a DCC-equipped Bachmann Alco 2-6-0 I would like to run on it, but I was told by the hobby shop sales person that the engine will run on DC, but the light will only work if run on DCC.  That is a deal breaker.  Is that information correct?

Doneldon

CT-

No. Bachmann DCC decoders are all dual mode meaning they automatically detect whether DC or DCC is present and operate accordingly. A new from the factory loco should be all set. A loco which has been fooled with may have had its default control system detection capacity disabled in which case you'd have a problem. I would advise you to go ahead with the DCC loco. In the unlikely event it fails to work, take it back.

This could be a case of the storekeeper either not knowing his merchandise or hoping to con you into a larger purchase. I would say the
former is much more likely in this day when there are few real hobby shops with employees who actually handle and work with their stock.
If you are buying the loco used, anything could be true, including the detection circuit having been disabled.

-- D

CalTex

Thank you, Doneldon.  That is what I suspected.  However, I asked if they could test it to which I was told that once the box is open it can no longer be sold as new.  Therefore, I assume they would not take the unit back if the light doesn't work as they told me.  In the unlikely event the light actually doesn't work with DC, could I count on the Bachmann company to advocate for me?  Or better yet, is there documentation that I could provide from Bachmann stating that the light works with DC?  $150 is more than I wish to gamble.  Thank you for your response.

richg

Quote from: CalTex on December 15, 2012, 08:14:11 AM
Thank you, Doneldon.  That is what I suspected.  However, I asked if they could test it to which I was told that once the box is open it can no longer be sold as new.  Therefore, I assume they would not take the unit back if the light doesn't work as they told me.  In the unlikely event the light actually doesn't work with DC, could I count on the Bachmann company to advocate for me?  Or better yet, is there documentation that I could provide from Bachmann stating that the light works with DC?  $150 is more than I wish to gamble.  Thank you for your response.

The LHS should really know it's product. Keep looking.

Rich

CalTex

I agree, Rich, but I have checked all reputable hobby shops within a 50 mile radius and this one shop was the only one that carried a steam loco that was suitable for my use.  In fact, there is a derth of steam locos of any kind--and this is a major metropolitan area.  It baffles me that that is the case.  Guess I will have to dispense with my asap deadline and order one online.  Still, it would be nice to first get confirmation from Bachmann that the light will work with DC.

jward

i have a 2-6-0 w/sound.

when i run it on dc, the front headlight is on whenever power is applied, regardless of direction. the rear headlight only comes on in reverse.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CalTex

Thanks, jward.  You and Donaldon have given me the confidence to go ahead and roll the dice with the purchase of the Alco steam engine.  But do not fear.  Neither of you will be held responsible if it doesn't work, but you will get the praise if it does.  Much appreciated and Happy Holidays!

Doneldon

T-

I'd definitely find another hobby shop, and I'd make it a point to let them know I was doing so. They can't be serious in saying they won't
accept a defective loco for return. Customer support is the main reason for using a LHS. and you shouldn't need Bachmann to speak
for you either. It sounds like those folks are happy to take your money but nothing else. So ... screw 'em.

-- D

CalTex

@Doneldon:  I went ahead and ordered the Bachmann Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation from Amazon which the LHS didn't have, I like more, and ends up being less expensive.  I just don't get to see it running around the tree for a few more days.  But I will definitely let those guys know what I did and why I was prompted to look elsewhere.  Thank you and the others for the support.