Southern Pacific Daylight Steam Loco 50201

Started by bionicjcs, December 28, 2012, 01:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bionicjcs

Just received this dog.  Pretty, but I doubt it hits 40 mph.  Anybody else have one of these turtles?  i suppose there is no way to turn it up.  Im very disappointed with this, i would think they could do better.  I wanted to add sound decoder because it is a beauty, but if this is the best it will run, Im going to just unload it.

richg

You are not giving us much info.
Is this factory new?
How much do you have to turn the power pack up to?
Any cars behind it?
Running on the level?
How many seconds to move 36 inches at full power pack? Half power pack?

Rich

bionicjcs

Brand new factory boxed.  Yes level, no cars.  Just slow.  Full throttle, maybe 40. 

Doneldon

bionic-

Your loco should go considerably faster than 40 smph though few layouts would actually permit even that speed unless the operator is willing to live with five seconds between stations. Nevertheless, the fact that it is so slow may portend other or future problems so it's a good idea to get it straightened out now.

Possibly your loco's decoder has a low top speed set. The easiest thing to do is a reboot to default values. Your paperwork will tell you how. If
that doesn't do the trick you may well have a mechanical defect. Return it to the store where you purchased it for a replacement. Or, contact Bachmann Customer Service (necessary information on this board).

-- D

bionicjcs

I haven't messed with any values.  Just  out of the box, so I would think the default values are there.  I did some more checking, and paired it alongside a regular sound loco, and it is actually doing around 55.  Im sure that is what the company limited it to and it is what it is, even tho not satisfactory to me.

Just need to stay away from Bachmann locos unless there is a way to check them first.

Doneldon

bionic-

I wasn't suggesting that you had messed with your configuration
variables. I was thinking that they may have been changed as part
of a test run by a previous potential buyer or something.

-- D

utdave

check for packing foam under the last 4 wheels.    it lifts up the power whells just enough to not get any grip  so it has a slight slip.     found that out with my freedom 4-8-4   slow thing until it layed over and saw the foam it increased speed more of my liking.    could be something really simple       Dave

bionicjcs

I hear you don, no was factory sealed.  No foam either, I took it out when un packing.  Just not a fast machine, like I said it will actually run around 55 full open no load.  Not good, but you takes your chance when buying without seeing.  I had wondered tho, if anybody on this forum had one to compare, but doesn't seem like it.

bionicjcs

Another funny thing it runs 30 percent faster on dc.  I guess dc supplying more voltage than dcc. 

Doneldon

Quote from: bionicjcs on January 12, 2013, 08:25:02 PM
Another funny thing it runs 30 percent faster on dc.  I guess dc supplying more voltage than dcc. 

bionic-

Au contraire, Maurice. DCC puts a higher continuous voltage on the track than DC applies at full power.

-- D

bionicjcs

Well that doesn't make any sense.  It runs faster on less voltage.  OK