News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Free online Layout designer

Started by Simon Greasly, August 12, 2007, 02:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Greasly

hello there Simon Greasly here again

I was just wondering is there an online model railroad layout designer program that is free if any of you could help out that would be great
City of Truro, Flying Scotsman, and the Mallard. Who will be the next to break the speed.

GlennW

AFAIK Atlas makes the only freeware layout design program. There may still be some demo versions of other commercial programs available. Not sure how good *bay may be for older versions of commercial programs.

Atlas:
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR VERSION 7.0:

* PC with Windows 95, 98, NT, ME, 2000 and XP.
      Note: Windows Vista is not supported at this time.
      Note for Version 5.0: Windows XP users may have to right-click on the installation file and select "Properties", then "Compatibility" and then check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and then select "Windows 95" from the drop-down menu.
    * VGA Monitor - Graphics; Mouse
    * Note: Version 7.0 is currently only set to work on systems using US/English configurations. The program will not work in foreign languages.

Franz T

Simon!

Try XTrkCad, available for free from http://www.sillub.com The website will give you the key for open registration. A very good program, not a big learning curve...

HTH

Franz T

jprince46

Xtrkcad has now gone open source (Free).  Here is the link to the latest version of the software. I believe it is version 4.01

http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage

Great stuff - very powerful, but has a steeper learning curve compared to Atlas.  If you are going to use any track other than Atlas - then this is the way to go.

jim

Simon Greasly

okay uh thx i tried out the atlas one and it works fairly well  :) but one quick question what is a learning curve  ???
City of Truro, Flying Scotsman, and the Mallard. Who will be the next to break the speed.

jprince46

The time it takes to learn the software.  A short learning curve would indicate that the program was easy to learn.  A long learning curve indicates that the program was difficult to learn, or has several options and features that require more time for you to master.