News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Track Turnouts

Started by Captain Pez, December 29, 2012, 10:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Pez

I just set up a 2x4 layout with one Left Turnout. For some reason when my Locomotive gets to it no matter what direction the the track is going it always stops. I'm a Newbie at this so please help!!!

Desertdweller

The non-DCC (original type) EZ Track turnouts were power routing.  That is, they would direct power through the turnout to whichever track the turnout was lined for.

Inside the turnout (under the bottom plate) is an electro-mechanical mechanism that both moves the switch and reverses power to the frog (the X-shaped metal piece in the center of the tracks).  Through a rack-and-pinion mechanism powered by a solenoid, a moving copper contact shifts position on contact plates as the switch is operated.

I suspect the moving contact inside your switch is failing to make physical contact with the plates.  This is a common problem with these turnouts, as is the operating lever jumping out of alignment with the rack gear.  This was a very ingenious design, but I think the manufacturing process was not up to the close tolerances required.  The design has been changed in production since.

Since your turnout is new, I would suggest you return it for replacement under warranty.

Les

Desertdweller

While on the subject of these turnouts (my railroad has 28 of the early version), the other night I was dismayed to find one of mine would throw in one direction only.  This usually means several hours of frustrating work.

But, I decided to track down the control system rather than tear the turnout apart.  What I found surprised me and maybe will save some of you some work.

I used a home made test light: a grain of wheat bulb with small alligator clips installed on the leads.  Using my system of barrier strips to route power to my turnouts, I back-tracked from the turnout to the switch controller.

I found the problem was not in the turnout.  The switch controller was sending power out to throw the switch in one direction only.

Why?  I disconnected the controller from the others it was ganged to.  The controller was getting power on the input side.

On the bottom of the controller, where the 3-wire switch control cable plugs in, the contacts were corroded.  They looked to be made from aluminum.

I cleaned them with contact cleaner and hooked everything up again.  The switch worked fine!

The next time a switch does not throw, the first place I'll look for problems will be the switch controller.

Les

eddie3

Thanks for the tip on this, I will save it to memory . Also Captain Pez, you might want to read the thread below named " are these turnouts power routing " to give you a better understanding of what is going on with turnouts now .

James in FL

Les offers good insight on your turn out. With some work they can be made quite reliable. There are a lot of ways, to do a lot of little tweaks to several places.
If you choose to stay with EZ Track, it is well worth for you to do it. EZ Track is what it is, if you want it better, then it's all on you.
Be sure your feeding power before the turnout (points end), if you're not, you will see the symptoms you describe.

Good luck