News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Connecting multiple lighted sets

Started by celticsteam, December 30, 2012, 02:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celticsteam

How do you connect multiple light sets. I have one lighted building hooked up to my controller. If I want to add more lighted or powered items, what do I need to do?

sd24b

Quote from: celticsteam on December 30, 2012, 02:08:15 AM
How do you connect multiple light sets. I have one lighted building hooked up to my controller. If I want to add more lighted or powered items, what do I need to do?I like to hook lights up in series.  Phil

Doneldon

celt-

Run an accessory power buss under your layout, and then send feeders up to your lights. This is much like track wiring. Make certain that you don't feed lights from the track buss or vice versa. Your accessory buss can be from your power pack's AC or accessory terminals, or any other appropriate source. Check for old wall warts from retired electronic appliances or telephones, or an unused surplus power pack. You can use either AC or DC, with the correct voltage. If you are running LED lights, you want an output around 4.5 volts. LEDs are very efficient so you aren't likely to exceed the power available from even a low-power wall wart. If you are running 12 volt lights, use a 12 volt source, or a slightly smaller one. A lower voltage won't affect the appearance of your lights but it will help your bulbs last a very long time. Conversely, an over-powered source will fry your lights in short order. Remember that you can use resistors to lower the voltage on your accessory buss, or a section of it, for lights which need less voltage than what your power source puts out.

-- D

celticsteam

Thanks for the information. Are there any books that show how to do some of the wiring? There is a great hobby store here in Sacramento that seems to be knowledgeable as well.

Doneldon

celt-

Yes. Kalmbach (Model Railroader) has several
books on wiring. They are clearly written and
well illustrated.

-- D

electrical whiz kid

Doneldon;
You can also use Auto brake lamps hooked up in series-to function as ballasts to keep the lamps functioning for a good long while.
Rich C.

jackbreadman1

I bought a 12volt converter on Ebay and with that you will be able to run pretty much as many 12volt items you would need depending on which one you buy. They sell them with many different watts output and they sell from about $8.00 and up.  Mine is a 12v 10a 120watt output and it is $19.95 with free shipping to the USA from China. Item #271028213845 on Ebay. I am running over 100 3mm 12volt bulbs.