All DCC engines suddenly run slow on 2 tracks

Started by F1Guy123, December 30, 2012, 10:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F1Guy123

I just set up a brand new kit including 2 engines, track and a digital controller.  I'm using a flat table and set up a simple oval.  It has worked perfectly for 3 days since Christmas, and both engines moved quickly at max speed.  Today I powered up and both engines are running very slow.  I have to move the knob to 3/4 power just to see any movement.  Full speed is less than 1/2 of what it was yesterday.  This is on both engines, and on 2 different tracks that are electrically independent.  I've reseated all cables, and checked everything possible.  No solution.  Voltage coming out of the power supply is 20v a/c.  Voltage at almost any point on the track is 18v A/C so I known it is getting voltage.  It's like something happened to the digital controller or onboard chips and it's not stepping up to higher speeds?

I'll have to pack it up in the boxes and return if I can't find a solution. That would be sad and a lot of wasted time.

Anyone else seen this?

bapguy

What digital controller system are you using?  Joe

electrical whiz kid

Re-check your track connections., or your buss connections to the track.  Just a suggestion, only this time, with a multimeter.  We are going to check voltage.
Rich C.

richg

Make sure a loco is in the slow section when measuring. With no loco in the slow section, there is no load so you will see nearly full voltage everywhere.

Rich

F1Guy123

What digital controller system are you using?  Joe

E-Z Command Control center

Re-check your track connections., or your buss connections to the track.  Just a suggestion, only this time, with a multimeter.  We are going to check voltage.
Rich C.

Not sure if you read my original post through... I set up 2 different ovals and measured voltage around both...  all readings were within a volt of the output from the controller.

Make sure a loco is in the slow section when measuring. With no loco in the slow section, there is no load so you will see nearly full voltage everywhere.

Per your suggestion I remeasured all around the track with a loco running.  Same results.  I get about 21-22 volts anywhere on the track.  Also, there is no 'slow' section.  2 engines are slow on 2 different tracks across all areas.  There is NO change in speed or control response anywhere on either track.  I try 2 seperate tracks connecting them to the controller directly.  SAME very slow speeds on both tracks, all sectons.

poppyz

Sounds like the engine/engines have dropped from the speed step setting some how. There is a " CV " for engine speed built in to the DCC card in each engine. I'm no genius on DCC , but, that's what I think.
           To reset you need to have a controller capable of setting CV' s .

Piyer

A couple of shots in the dark - mainly to eliminate them as possible problems.

1) Have you tried cleaning the track and the wheels?

2) Have you tried setting up a test track (preferably with previously unused track)?

3) Is the track bare - in other words, is it as it came from the manufacturer, or have you painted / ballasted / otherwise added scenery material to and / or around it?

~AJ
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

richg

Quote from: poppyz on January 03, 2013, 05:46:28 PM
          Sounds like the engine/engines have dropped from the speed step setting some how. There is a " CV " for engine speed built in to the DCC card in each engine. I'm no genius on DCC , but, that's what I think.
           To reset you need to have a controller capable of setting CV' s .

When a DCC loco "suddenly" changes it's response and everything else is still ok, reset the decoder to factory specs.

Rich

timhar47

RE Reset - if you got a full Bachmann set w/Bachmann DCC controller, the book will tell you how to reset the loco.