News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC decoders

Started by ebnen, January 09, 2013, 03:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebnen

Hi Everyone !

I am new in this hobby and very new in this forum as well. Please correct me if I do something incorrect.

I need help and would appreciate it if some of you can offer.

I have bought a N scale Spectrum GE Dash 8-40 C diesel Loco, the sales people told me that it was DCC ready so I thought that it's ready to run in a digital system. I learned later that I need a decoder to make it really DCC  :-[

I have searched through this forum and other internet topics but got very confused ! Can someone please let me know which decoder I should get for this Loco ? Do I need to do any modification (milling or removing any capacitors) ? Any photos or video will be of great help to me.

Thank you in advance.

richg

Nothing very confusing. Get a Digitrax DZ125 decoder.
http://www.digitrax.com/products/mobile-decoders/dz125/

Connect according to the diagram you got with the loco. Probably have to solder the wires from what I see on the diagram. I just looked.
DCC ready means ready to connect a decoder BUT, how you connect might be an issue. Some you have to solder, some you have to just plug in but that depends on what type of connector. Other brands of locos might requite a nine pin connector.
Some like the TCS N scale decoders.

This might be similar.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/N_Scale/Bachmann/EMD_DD40AX/bachman_EMD_DD40AX.html

I got this from the below link. You can see the difference between DCC ready and non ready for typical N scale locos.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/N_Scale/N_Search/search.html

Remember, N scale is quite small and no room for an 8 pin connector like HO and larger scale's.

Rich

ebnen

Hi, Rich

Thanks for your info !

I'll check up these info for detail. I believe I have to open up the shell to determine if there is a connector inside before I decide on which decoder to purchase.

Really appreciate your great help !

Ebnen

Fred Klein

I have several of these engines and all have been converted to DCC. The shell can be removed by very carefully pulling up on it and slightly spreading the sides at the bottom center. Sometimes a little prying (VERY GENTLY) with a small jewelers screwdriver may be required. The circuit board that sits on top of the chassis/motor has 7 copper-plated holes on the side at the rear of the engine. These are numbered 1-8 and correspond to the NMRA specification for wiring decoders. There are two small copper jumpers that connect some to the solder pads on the holes. These must be removed (they just pull off to the side of the board - again gently but firmly, they can be stubborn).

Here is the NMRA pinout for wiring DCC decoders:

Hole #    Wire Color
-------    -----------
  1          Orange
  2          Yellow
  3          - not used, probably will not even be present
  4          Black
  5          Gray
  6          White
  7          Blue
  8          Red

I use Digitrax DZ123 decoders in my engines because they tuck neatly under the circuit board in the space at the rear of the engine.  You may want to shorten the wires on the decoder to make it easier to tuck under the board. Just solder the wires to the corresponding holes and then test the engine with the shell off to make sure everything works.

Hope this helps,

Fred Klein,
Okeechobee, FL
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

GSXR1000

Hi,

I am wondering if you installed the DCC decoder yet?  I have a couple of Dash 8 locomotives and I am looking at installing the decoders, not sure which is the right one and all that? Pictures would be great....

Thanks

mywhitedog

I've stopped using Digitrax decoders, moved to TCS decoders, the M1 is smaller than the Digitrax DZ123 or DZ125, and with auto BEMF, the cost is a bit more a few bucks, but well worth the money.

lesklar

I have to agree with mywhitedog, I used a Digitrax and had a bugger of a time getting it to run clean on my GP-40. I bought a TCS Z2 for my Bachmann 0-4-0 "Docksider" and it ran great with very little 'tweaking'. I have purchased another TCS Z2 to install in another older Bachmann 0-6-0 USRA.
If you have not installed a decoder in your GE Dash 8-40 I would check out the TCS decoders.