News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4 axle diesels

Started by jbrock27, January 11, 2013, 06:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Anyone have recommendations of a quality HO 4 axle diesel? (from hands on experience)
Thanks for sharing.
Keep Calm and Carry On

railtwister

Hi jbrock27,

I've been pretty pleased with my little Bachmann Sound-Value Alco switcher. So, much so, in fact, that I have just purchased a Sound-Value Alco FA2 road engine as well. Just wish Bachmann had released the FA2's in Western Maryland colors, too.

Bill in FtL

cwmeeks

I have 5 GP30's, 2 GP38's, a GP7 and a GP, All by Bachmann. I have found that they are good, can't beat the price and the durability.
Regards

c ;D

cwmeeks

That last one would be a GP9! Fat fingers don't ya know. :P

jbrock27

Thank you fellas.

Any idea how much these locos weigh?  I have found on my layout, that heavier locos, like the old Athearn Blue Box F7 super gear, that weighs 1 lb, does the best and that lighter locos have trouble.

Any one with experiences with KATOs?
Keep Calm and Carry On

CNE Runner

I am probably biased, but I can't recomend the Bachmann Spectrum GE 45-Ton switcher more highly. This model features a dual mode decoder and, with a good run-in, runs flawlessly. I love to watch this little critter's side rods flash as she completes her switching tasks.

Here #4 is shown switching the Cannery siding in Sweet Haven on my Monks Island Railway.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jbrock27

Thank you CNE.  I am still in the dark ages and run DC as opposed to DCC.

Hunt-thank you.  That is around the same weight as my newest, a FTA Bachmann Blue Box model.  It has some troubles taking freight up a grade.  It runs great, it is just what I would call, "light".
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

bachmann locomotives in general are lighter than say atlas, by several ounces.

with the fta, why not get a b unit for it? most real fts ran as more than one unit.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Reinhard S

Hi.

One of my favorite 4 axle diesels is the bachmann GP7 Clinchfield #912.  I did, however, replace the standard bachmann decoder with a TCS motor only decoder.  This unit runs silky smooth now and I am planning on consisting it with the Southern bachmann GP7 once again with a decoder replacement.

All the best.

Reinhard

Jerrys HO

I have no problem with any of my 4 axle's, just wish they would come with BEMF decoder's as they will slow down on my grades. My other loco's with BEMF all run my grades smoothly.

Jerry

jbrock27

That is an excellent suggestion jward.  Safe to say that I am working on that.  I would even use a F7B shell in the flag I am looking for, it would not bother my son or I since the B units of both models look very very similar.
And thank you for pointing that out about the weight.  I only have 4 Bachmanns (2 recent acquisitions) and it just dawned on me that this is the case.  My Bachmann Geep is lighter than one of my Athearn Geeps.

Jerry-what brand locos do you have?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

one MTH SD70ACE
ten Bachmann-2 -- 0-6-0
                       2-- GP 40
                       1-- GP50
                       1-- GP38-2
                       1-- SD45
                       1-- F7A
                       1-- F7B
                       1--SD40-2
                        1--S4

All DCC and 3 with sound

jbrock27

...sometimes I lose sight that I am on a Bachmann discussion board.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

It's OK as long as you are not bashing the competition. At least here Bachman can defend his product.

I find just getting back into the hobby Bachmann has outdone themselves with the newer products and affordable to own.

CNE Runner

Jbrock - I'm sorry I hadn't responded prior to this...I don't read the Bachmann forum everyday (don't tell the Bach Man). Regarding your statement that you run your trains on DC: I used that GE 45-Ton locomotive for over a year on DC - with no problems whatsoever. I finally asked myself why I was leaving a perfectly good MRC Prodigy Advanced DCC system on the shelf? As you can surmise, I now run with DCC only...and won't go back.

Recently I have 'dipped my toes' into the On30 'pool' and purchased the Bachmann On30 Davenport. Again, Bachmann has produced a wonderful little locomotive (that, sadly, was discontinued). Problem? It looks ridiculous 'cruising past' those HO-scale people/vehicles/buildings on the Monks Island. One old timer was quoted as saying the Jolly Green Giant must be in town. [Gee, I have to get to work on that On30 mini layout.]

Best wishes,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"