News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Speed of Loco

Started by ollietom1944, January 12, 2013, 03:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollietom1944

Hi Folks. I have another question you may be able to help me wit, I hope! I have a Bachman HO 70 Ton 3 Truck Climax, and can't get any reasonable speed out of it. I have a Digitrax Super Empire Builder Xtra DCC Unit. Is the fault with the Loco, or can I adjust the speed on the Empire Builder? (At present, I can turn the speed control full up to 90, yet it doesn't make much difference!) Thanks, in anticipation, ollietom.

Jerrys HO

Doneldon

ollie-

Climaxes are designed for power and sure footing, not speed. I doubt if the
twelve-inches-to-the-foot Climaxes ever reached 20 mph. These specialized
locomotives were used for heavy loads, steep grades and cruddy track, like
the almost temporary track laid by timber, mining and high-mountain railroads.

-- D

CJCrescent

Although not a climax, but a Shay, I can remember my Dad saying, they'll come at you sounding like they're running at 90, but you can walk faster than they move.

As stated before these were very powerful for their size, sure footed and very slow runners. Pound for pound the geared locos were the most powerful steamers made.
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

ollietom1944

Thanks a lot guts. That has answered my question perfectly. I do recall reading that the Climax, here in Victoria, Australia, was used specifically for logging in very hilly country, but the article didn't say anything about the speed. Lovely little engine! Regards, ollietom.

Doneldon

Quote from: ollietom1944 on January 12, 2013, 06:16:15 PM
Lovely little engine!

ollie-

That's sure the truth. The geared locos have so much going on,
especially considering the speed they move, that they're great
fun to watch. I love 'em.

-- D