Alco 2-6-0 sound/F Ho scale.weight and turnouts

Started by RonGP7, January 16, 2013, 12:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonGP7

Got this the other day and had it on the track. And the front wheels come off the track at turnouts when going right or left. I check the wheels they are ok so was thanking maybe weight seems under weight to me. I have 4 other loco's and they don't do that and none of the rolling stock. So anyone have a idea what to do or how to add weight to it. Thanks for any help. Ron

Doneldon

Ron-

By checking I'll assume you mean you checked the gauge of the wheels. Check them now if I am misapprehended.

If the wheels are in gauge, check to make sure they roll easily and that there is no interference with the pony truck's ability to pivot left and right. If that checks out, make sure the little spring on top of the pony truck is there.

Good luck with your investigation.

-- D

RonGP7

I check them with the gauge and are good. And the spring is there and they pivot left and right. works good without the wheels. thanking about not putting them back on they seem to pivot to much. But if you try to do much the wheels will not pivot from side to side. Thanks Ron

rogertra

I remove all the springs from my trucks and nothing derails.  You want to try that and see what happens.

Double check that the points are hard against the stock rail.

Run your finger along the inside, gauge edge, of the switch and see if you feel a snag where the points nestle into the stock rail.  If you do, using a jeweler's file, lightly file the tip of the points so they are thinner until you no longer feel the snag.

Let us know the results?

Best of luck.

RonGP7

Hi I turned the wheel holder over and just have the screw just a little tight and it works a lot better. I ran it about 20 times over the turnouts and only come off the track one time. So I can live with that.

PS. also pulled down on the wheel holder a little after install and just have the screw just snug. Thanks Ron

Joe323

I agree with filing the points especially on bmann turnouts.