Replacing Coupler on an Older Model Power RF16 "Sharknose"

Started by NaugyRR, August 14, 2007, 01:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaugyRR

Howdy folks,

Someone recently gave me a pair of Model Power ATSF Sharks, one dummy, one powered. The rear coupler on the powered unit is broken, so, in order to fix it, I took the shell off and disassembeled the trailing bogey assembly. The coupler is mounted on/in the one-piece plastic truck assembly and I can't figure out how to get the damn thing out of there and a new one in. I know this is a Bachman forum but I remember having an F7 made by Bachman that had this kind of truck assembly. Any help?

Thanks,
Jesse

Woody Elmore

Back in the day when I had several pair of these engines I remember sawing off the talgo coupler and rigging up a body mount for a Kadee using sheet styrene.

There was a way of taking off the side frame - but I don't remember how.

I am a tinkerer and always take things apart although I've resisted the urge to take my new Camry apart!

Dr EMD

BTW Kadee recommend the following:

Baldwin Shark Nose A & B ...... Front 37, Rear 27
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

RAM

I am with woody.  Body mount the couplers.  As far as finding a replacement part. I would say your best bet would be to find someone who has a junk locomotive.

LD303

It's not too complicated to fix that coupler....turn the loco upside and down and look at the coupler pocket.....theres a small square piece of plastic that is holding the coupler in the pocket...gently pry it out with a small flat screwdriver and replace the coupler....if the plastic piece gets bent or doesn't want to fit back in the pocket right...you might need to make a replacement from a small piece of styrene sheet....050 should work fine. 
I've had some troubles with the Model Power coupler system and if you're of a mind to try...body mounting some new ones is a good idea.