News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 ... 2-10-0?

Started by lvrr325, January 22, 2013, 11:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvrr325

Assuming I can get this to run, I have an HO Bachmann 2-10-0 missing some parts I wasn't sure what to do with.

Well, I also have an On30 Bachmann 2-6-0 I bought in pieces where someone started to bash a 2-6-6-2 only to have Bachmann release one and do the work for you. 

Lo and behold, the boiler shell comes close to fitting the 2-10-0 frame as-is, it would need a tab on the bottom front removed, but appears it would even cover the stock 2-10-0 upper weight. 

I just wonder if a 2-10-0 is overkill, with all those drivers would it be too little weight on them to pull much were it a real engine, although looking at it I see no reason why I couldn't remove the rearmost drive axle and rods. 

Hamish K

There were ten coupled tender locomotives on 30 inch (or 750mm, which is close)  gauge lines. I don't know of a 2-10-0 but Poland had 0-10-0s http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:PKP_class_Pw53. Argentina had the Rio Turbio 2-10-2s
http://www.martynbane.co.uk/modernsteam/ldp/rfirt/santafes.htm
. There may be others. Ten coupled tank locomotives also existed on 750mm gauge lines, for example in East Germany.

The reason for so many drivers was to spread the weight for lightly laid lines.

I'd say go for it.

Hamish

Kevin S.

I cannot recall the website but I have seen photos of Chinese 0-10-0 locomotives that were wither 2 ft. or 30 inch in gauge.

They were used for switching coal trains I believe. Interesting locomotives in appearance. Would be very easy to Americanize.

In fact, if you have an On30 common carrier it would make a good yard goat if you had a port or big industrial facility, which of course is what the Chinese used these brutes for.

Hamish K

This may be the locomotive Kevin S saw photos of  - a two foot gauge Baldwin 0-10-0 in China! http://www.kurogane-rail.jp/yunnan/esl_sn23.html
Hamish

Kevin S.

That's the one!

Handsome brute for a 2 ft. gauge switcher!

railexpert

Hello,

for this Chinese Baldwin ten wheeler compare the image with the Bachmann 2-4-4-2.

Then take the 2-4-4-2 body and  set under a ten wheel chassis frame.  That's all.

But is a ten wheeler a loco for small radii which one we have on our layouts? See the problems with the Forney.

Railexpert           

::)

Hamish K

Quote from: railexpert on January 24, 2013, 04:23:39 AM
Hello,

for this Chinese Baldwin ten wheeler compare the image with the Bachmann 2-4-4-2.

Then take the 2-4-4-2 body and  set under a ten wheel chassis frame.  That's all.

But is a ten wheeler a loco for small radii which one we have on our layouts? See the problems with the Forney.

Railexpert     

The Bachmann HO Russian 2-10-0 on which Ivrr325 is proposing to base his (different) bash will negotiate 18 inch radius curves. So that is not a problem. Ivrrr325's original query was whether a 2-10-0 was prototypically feasible for an On30 locomotive. I think the answer is yes, given that a number of 10 coupled prototypes existed on narrow gauges. I haven't yet found a 2-10-0 (I have found more 750mm gauge 0-10-0s) but who is to say the one wasn't made by someone, somewhere?

Hamish

railexpert

Hello Hamish

HO and On30 is in fact the same gauge, but a different scale. You forget that the overhang of the On30 locos is twice as large as in HO. Not everything what works in 1:87 goes in 1:48.

Railexpert

lvrr325

This is a ridiculously easy swap if you don't mind it sitting higher than the pictured locomotive. 

Trim the tab off the bottom front boiler of the 2-6-0 and cut a small notch in the rear bottom center.   On the 2-10-0, remove the upper weight and motor and grind the rear where there is a square hole, down flush.   

Spread the tubes that go into the cylinders, or use the lower boiler shell and some sandpaper to open them up, and you're done. 

You can even put the 2-6-0 pilot on by removing the 2-10-0 pilot and drilling one hole in the frame. 

The only thing that looks odd is the more modern cylinders, but if you want to go all out you could probably just adapt the 2-6-0 cylinder set to it.  It should fit the frame okay, would be a matter of altering holes to take the 2-10-0 main rod and hangers. 

Even with the larger boiler it didn't look that out of place next to a 2-6-6-2.  I may work on it a little more to get it lower.  But if I wanted to, I could start putting it back together right now, it would just be a matter of a couple of holes to screw the new shell into place.   

I also think you could easily remove the rearmost driver set without any issues. 

Kevin S.

Some photos would be great. This sounds like a neat kitbash!

Sparks65

The photos of the On30 Mogul boiler on the HO 2-10-0 chassis are helpful to visualize the proof of concept.  I agree with the post suggesting substitution of "D" valves for the stock 2-10-0 piston valve cylinder block.  Retaining the Walschearts valve gear would be a blessing for the 1:48 engine mechanics...adjusting inside Stevenson valve gear on an inside-frame 2 foot gauge 2-10-0 would literally be hell on wheels.  Check the Chinese engines.  They may give inspiration for valve gear treatment.

One other suggestion:  Shorten the boiler and/or smoke box so that the center of the stack is directly over the center of the cylinder block (and the imagined blast pipe extending up from the block towards the base of the stack.  This would be consistent with US practice.  Or, Europeanize it with different domes, cab, and external exhaust pipes extended to the centers of the smoke box sides.  Food for thought.