News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-6-0 split frame switcher

Started by cmsluss, February 05, 2013, 11:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmsluss

I have a Bachmann HO 0-6-0 split frame switcher.   The locomotive consistently hesitates.   I have cleaned the wheels, cleaned the wheel hubs, cleaned the frame and cleaned the track to prevent hesitation.  I've used Conducta-Lube on the hubs to try to improve connectivity.   The plastic gears are all in good shape and working.  There is no visible reason why the locomotive should not operate smoothly.   I have two larger (4-8-4) Bachmann split frame steamers and I have never had a hesitation problem with them.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the Message Board... it's always good to have a place to speak "train"!

jonathan

cmsluss,

The problem is length of wheelbase.  The distance between the first and third set of drivers is so short, the locomotive can hesitate for any number of reasons: turnouts with dead frogs, orts on the track,... etc.

Search my name and 0-6-0.  I have previously posted about adding pick up brushes and metal wheels to the tender.  This increases the pick up points by two-thirds (2/3).  The loco will no longer hesitate through turnouts or tiny bits of dirty track.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

My Plymouth 0-6-0 is like that switcher. The pickups are a thin metal strip between the inside of the drivers and metal frame halves.

Rich

cmsluss

Thank you Jonathan!
I have a couple of steam locomotives with tender pick-ups.  I like the Bachmann USRA 0-6-0... bit the constant hesitation is frustrating!

richg

Quote from: cmsluss on February 07, 2013, 01:15:32 PM
Thank you Jonathan!
I have a couple of steam locomotives with tender pick-ups.  I like the Bachmann USRA 0-6-0... bit the constant hesitation is frustrating!

Convert the tender to all wheel pickups. Below is one way.

http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

Rich

cmsluss

Thanks Rich!  Very informative link!

on30gn15

Hey, that is a good idea - bookmarked that page for sure!
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest