News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dc controller

Started by union pacific 844, February 13, 2013, 12:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 844

what does it cost to have a dc controller replaced ?

utdave

Hey uncle pete 844       try this   post on criags list    wanted    train transformer   or your local online news classifieds       im sure there might be another person close by that has a homer bucket full of them  and will let you have one.      im sure if you lived couple thosand miles closer i would give you one
Dave

union pacific 844

sd24b

Quote from: union pacific 844 on February 13, 2013, 12:40:17 AM
what does it cost to have a dc controller replaced ?

depends on what you are looking for.  replaced or repair?

jbrock27

Dave,

Uncle Pete (UP/ Matt) has said in the past he lives in Illinois.
Also, that there are no LHS near him and no train shows.  It sounded like Internet or bust for him from what I recall him saying previously. 

Matt, when you have the dough to spend, try Amazon if you want to go new for sure, if you want to price compare on EBay between "New", New in Box, Good Condition, etc, go to EBay.  Both places have Railpower 1300s and 1370s.  EBay has the gamut of MRC Tech IIs as well. 

While I would not suggest trying to repair the controller, I will tell about a bum Railpower 1300 I got from a crook on EBay that was listed as new, unused , unopened etc.  When I got it, you could tell right away, it had been used: had wires connected to it and one of the AC posts was stripped.   
I managed to take it apart (yes I know, not suggested) using a modified flat bladed screwdriver and fixed the post by replacing it.  However, in the process, I destroyed the transistor.  But, no big deal, easy enough to match the transistor # to ones coming from China (where the transformer/power pack was made anyway) thru EBay.  Got a bunch for cheap.   But ended up also needing a new potentiometer (for the speed control).  Mouser.com  to the rescue.  Put it back to together but stupid me forgot to use thermal paste between the heatsink and the transistor, so the DC last for about 10 minutes, they destroyed my new "pot".  I will  still use it for the AC, but just wanted to share this with you.
Best of luck! 

-jb
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

UP

I am not sure if this could be correct but it's worth checking into. I would think from the reply in your other post that you are putting a strain on the controller. You have two loops and accessories and what sounds like quite a few loco's. It may be time to upgrade.
Like I said I don't know what the limitations are or actually how much you are running off it but I bet it's not helping the life out any. A good sign is when you said it overheats.

Jerry

union pacific 844

im running two loop and 4  turnouts  im going back to dcc  dc was a back up  but i need send in both controller and getting 7 decoders  so all 10 of my engines are dcc

richg

You do not want to open the controller and try a repair. Those controllers have metal fingers that pickup different taps on the transformer. Those can be a weak point plus the danger of 120 VAC. Some people have actually left a device they where working on, plugged into the wall outlet.
I have the info but will not post it here. Besides, the Bach-Man would not like it and delete the info. He has done that before for a good reason.

Rich

jbrock27

Pity the dope who tried working on one while it was plugged in.

220 will kill you.  Not sure 110-120 will, but that said, don't want to put that to the test for sure.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Quote from: jbrock27 on February 13, 2013, 07:14:17 PM
Pity the dope who tried working on one while it was plugged in.

220 will kill you.  Not sure 110-120 will, but that said, don't want to put that to the test for sure.

!10 will kill you. It is not the voltage, it is the current. A common misconception. Do a Google search.
Many over the years have died using metal framed tools like the old electric drills used in the home that did not have the three wire ground plug or cut off that third pin which was  nuisance.
I have been doing electrical since 1955 and I have lost track of all the fatality reports I have read over the years.
You would be surprised at how many have made wire strippers out of wire cutters because they tried to make a shorter electrical cord before unplugging the power cord.

Rich

jbrock27

No, I would not be surprised at all Rich.  It is hard to cure stupid.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

...and that by the way, is why they give out the Darwin Awards. 
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

...a lot of times, posthumously.

Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Quote from: Jerrys HO on February 13, 2013, 05:53:41 PM
UP

I am not sure if this could be correct but it's worth checking into. I would think from the reply in your other post that you are putting a strain on the controller. You have two loops and accessories and what sounds like quite a few loco's. It may be time to upgrade.
Like I said I don't know what the limitations are or actually how much you are running off it but I bet it's not helping the life out any. A good sign is when you said it overheats.

Jerry

Anyone here cam afford to do this. Spend a few dollars and get yourself two of these meters from Harbor Freight. The meters are about $3.00 each.
I have posted this here before but i suspect quite a few here do not look at any other threads except the one they posted.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-multimeter-98025.html

http://www.trainelectronics.com/Meter_HF/index.htm

http://www.trainelectronics.com/Meter_Workshop/index.htm

You can read the DC voltage and current up to 10 amps. Harbor Freight has one for more money that will read up to 20 amps but I have never found that to be important with MRR use.
Since you can use a PC, there is not good reason why you cannot learn to use a multimeter and save yourself a lot of headaches. Who know, maybe some here enjoy headaches.
Sure beats getting led by the hand.

Rich

jbrock27

Since Matt (UP) has already said (in another thread about the same topic) that he has no $$ right now, can I ask why he would bother to invest in this?  Instead of just replacing the burned up piece of junk he has now, with an MRC controller that is rated to run several trains at once? And just be done with it?

I mean I am all for having a multimeter and knowing how to use it, but what the heck?

And what is with the always "led by the hand" business?  What is up with that?

Keep Calm and Carry On