HO SIZE STEAM LOCO'S NOT FOUND AS ON30 SUCH AS 2-10-0, 2-8-0, ETC.

Started by rube125, February 13, 2013, 02:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rube125

THERE ARE MANY STEAM TRAINS THAT ARE MADE HO BUT NOT AS ON30.
SUCH AS 2-10-0, 2-8-0, 6-6-0, ETC.

Doneldon

Quote from: rube125 on February 13, 2013, 02:25:02 AM
THERE ARE MANY STEAM TRAINS THAT ARE MADE HO BUT NOT AS ON30.
SUCH AS 2-10-0, 2-8-0, 6-6-0, ETC.

rube-

You are correct; there are many more models available in HO than in On30. There's a very good reason for this: There are many, many more modelers doing HO than there are doing On30. While you and I may be into trains because we like them, the manufacturers are into trains to make a profit for their owners. It's far more expensive to design and build a locomotive (or any piece of scale modeling for that matter) than you can ever imagine. $100,000 is just the start. Throw more money at development, then add shipping, merchandising, advertising, inventory, profit for the retailers, etc., and the figure can easily reach twice or three times that. The decision to start this process is risky and scary enough when there are tens of thousands of HO modelers. When the potential market is ten percent of that at best, and the costs will be even higher, it's no surprise that On30 is still near its infancy with limited new products released yearly. And it's no surprise that On30 fans like you are disappointed and frustrated with what is a comparatively narrow range of merchandise from which to choose. But, rest assured, you aren't alone. Even the well-supplied HO market counts legions of equally frustrated hobbyists who want a model of this or that or at least a quality-improved upgrade. Do the HO folks get everything they want? No way. So you see, we all have to play a waiting game for new products. Well, either that or kitbash or scratchbuild that particular locomotive that we've been in love with since the first time we caught up with one after chasing a smoke plume for miles.

Frankly, I think that the manufacturers, especially Bachmann in this regard, are doing a great job of expanding their On30 offerings. There are new locomotives and rolling stock every year, with parallel improvements in the quality of the mechanisms ans detail. So, and I freely admit that this is never what I want to do, try to be patient and enjoy what is out there while you wait for that certain something that you want so bad you can taste it.

Incidentally, posting in ALL CAPS is considered to be yelling on line, and therefore irritating to readers who haven't done anything to deserve abuse. So turn off your caps lock and save the dramatic appearance for when you want to be perceived as yelling.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         -- D

Hamish K

On30 represents narrow gauge, HO standard gauge. Wheel arrangements that were common on standard gauge were not always common on narrow gauge, AFAIK there were no narrow gauge 2-10-0s in the USA. For many years Bachmann made a 2-8-0 in On30, try EBay. I would not be surprised to see Bachmann  make one again sometime. They have also been made by other makers. 6-6-0s were rare on any gauge, if you meant 0-6-0s AFAIK there was only one class of tender 0-6-0s on US narrow gauge lines, they were not common. Finally, no maker can keep every type of loco available at all times in each scale/gauge combination that they make. Overall I think Bachmann has done a pretty good job with On30.

Hamish