Adding sound to Bachmann DCC equipped locos

Started by bionicjcs, March 01, 2013, 11:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bionicjcs

Does not somebody make a sound decoder to add to the Bachmann dcc equipped and dcc on board locos?  Somebody must make them for Bachmann. 

rogertra

Yes, a "simple", or as simple as DCC gets, drop in sound decoder.  Is there a web site anywhere that gives the required decoder for the various different Bachmann engines?

Mr. B.?

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Our sound decoders are made by Soundtraxx, but they don't make drop-in decoders for every loco we make. Hopefully we are moving in that direction.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Jerrys HO

Soundtraxx's  web site shows sound decoders for Bachmann loco's. Included is instructions on installing them. Check out the links.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step3.php?t=ho&s=Bachmann

http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/1000at.php

Not all decoders whether they are mobile decoders or sound will be drop in some take a little more.

Jerry

Brian1975

Quote from: bionicjcs on March 01, 2013, 11:16:05 PM
Does not somebody make a sound decoder to add to the Bachmann dcc equipped and dcc on board locos?  Somebody must make them for Bachmann. 

I have a bachmann UP GP38-2 #2024 loco DCC ready & I got to put a sound decoder in my loco as well.

rogertra

Quote from: the Bach-man on March 02, 2013, 12:01:39 AM
Dear All,
Our sound decoders are made by Soundtraxx, but they don't make drop-in decoders for every loco we make. Hopefully we are moving in that direction.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Thanks Mr. B..  That was most helpful.  Page has been bookmarked.  :)

Searsport

The Soundtraxx Bachmann HO Scale Page is interesting.  It specifies the TSU-750 Light Steam for the Spectrum Baldwin 4-6-0 and Richmond 4-4-0, but the TSU-1000 Light Steam for the Standard Line ALCo 2-6-0 and the TSU-1000 Medium Steam for the Decapod.  I am wondering, does this just mean that the TSU-1000 will not fit in the small tenders of the 4-4-0 and the low boiler 4-6-0?  If so, presumably one could / should use the TSU-1000 Light Steam for the high boiler 4-6-0s, as they use the USRA Medium Coal and the Decapod tenders?   My understanding from articles on fitting the TSU 750 in small diesels is that it gets a lot hotter than the TSU 1000, sufficient to melt things if not attached to a heat sink.

Bill.

GtrsnTrains

I'd like to know this as well.... specifically a TSU-1000 in a 2-6-0 or other small tender?

richg

Some here need to start a thread for their loco. This thread could get quite messy.

Forget drop in for many of the Bachmann locos.
The 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 with small tenders, only the 750 and 28mm speaker. I have done them.
Many rip out the PC board and hardwire with a 1k resistor for the LED's, if the loco has a LED and not a light bulb. Bachmann DCC has gone though a few variations.
Also, tender swaps with Bachmann locos can be a hassle.
I have the DCC ready 4-6-0 with no speaker location and the PC board in the center. The 4-6-0 with onboard sound has two PC boards. One for the lights and motor, the other is the actual sound decoder. The loco came with the DC adapter for the PC board for the motor and lights. It is right in the diagram page.

Look at the loco diagrams. The PC board with the eight pin connector are in different locations for DCC ready and with sound onboard and this could probably change.

The 4-6-0 with larger tender might handle the TSU1000, though the 750 is recommended. Some have put in the 1000. Your choice.

Remember, there are small driver and large driver 4-6-0's. Pay attention to details.
No doubt there are still many DCC ready still floating around out there which can muddy the waters for those new to Bachmann DCC.

Rich