Can you replace horn and hook couplers on old Bachmann rolling stock

Started by TexasBigAL, March 02, 2013, 02:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasBigAL

I have some old Bachmann rolling stock and was wondering if I can replace the trucks or horn and hook couplers with the new version of couplers

Doneldon

BigAl-

Yes. I strongly encourage you to mount your knuckle couplers (Kadees are best) to your car bodies for best operation. You can just cut off the truck coupler arms or replace the whole assembly with new trucks if you have Talgo trucks. Be sure to use a coupler height gauge to make certain that your couplers are installed at the right height; this is much more important for reliable operation than you may think.

While you are updating your older rolling stock, make sure you have metal wheels. You'll need 33" diameter
wheels for most freight cars and 36" wheels for most passenger cars. In most cases, it is possible to twist the
truck to remove the old wheelset and install the new one.

-- D

RAM

If all you are going to do is run trains and not operate them, you could go to Kadees' web site and see what couplers they make for the old Bachmann cars.  You will find that they cost more and I don't think they work as well as the #5

electrical whiz kid

Al;
Kadee's site is probably going to be the most beneficial you will find.  My recommendations would be a 158, as they are close to scale, and work really well.  Give some thought to standardizing your trucks also.  Kadee has a tremenduos inventory of trucks.  It is a somewhat pricey proposition  initially, but it pays off in the long run, and that is what we all look to.  Use the site, the Q&A section, and also get their height gauge; use it and stick with it. 
Rich C .

Brian1975

Quote from: TexasBigAL on March 02, 2013, 02:44:53 PM
I have some old Bachmann rolling stock and was wondering if I can replace the trucks or horn and hook couplers with the new version of couplers
I picked up some pullman passenger cars handed down to me & thay had the old school horn & hook couplers & i thought I'd body mount some kadee's & seeing if the passenger cars with some little TLC would work well with my 260 DCC steamer loco.. I wound up throwing out the passenger car's it was more of a hassel than anything.. I am planning on buying new updated passenger car's in ther future..

electrical whiz kid

Passenger cars are a tough proposition; the radii used on most latouts do not help the situation.  I have found that through (somewhat unpleasant) learning process, that not being stingy with length, and using diaphrams like the ones from "American Limited" will at least give the impression of relatively closely coupled cars, and you will have a bit of a break on the curves.  It is very unnerving when a set of passenger cars bind up in a tunnel curve and derails-all over the place; which is why-on the new layout-there will ONLY be the illusion of long tunnels; trust me, this time they will be totally accessable!
Rich C. 

AndyJB

I've done a bunch of Bachmann Thomas range for my Grandson and so far KD #5's have worked on everything.

jbrock27

We now have 2 simultaneous threads running about converting old couplers/trucks  to new knuckle style body mounted couplers and new trucks.

TBA-check out the HO thread under the heading "older Bachmann car?"

-jb
Keep Calm and Carry On