News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Pennsy F7s

Started by PRRThomas11, August 19, 2007, 09:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRRThomas11

Bach-man-

How come the photo for Bachmann's Pennsy F7s look tuscan red but are realy green? Do you make them in red? I ordered them thinking they were red and I was sort of disappointed. Would you suggest to Bachmann to make tuscan F7s.
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

the Bach-man

Dear PRR,
I'll pass along yout request.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

brokemoto

Did PRR have any freight F-7s in red?

The B-mann SPECTRUM or PLUS F-7s are freight units.  Every photograph of a PRR freight F-7 that I have ever seen has shown DGLE.

PRR did have some FP-7s that were red; they also had some that were DGLE.

B-mann does (or did, it may be out of production) sell a Standard Line F-unit in PRR that was red.  B-mann sold it as an F-9.  It appeared to have been based on an FP-9, as it has steam generator stacks.  PRR never had any FP-9s; the only US road that had anything approaching an FP9 was the Northwestern.  EMD re-used some FT components when it built those for the Northwestern.  Other than that, FP-9s ran in Canada and Mejico,

Model Power sells its FP-7 in PRR red.  It is available in both versions, the 'trainset' and the 'hobbyist' version.  The striping on the 'trainset' version is correct, but the Tuscan color is off.  The striping on the 'hobbyist' version is incorrect, but the color is pretty good.

Intermountain is going to issue a PRR FP-7, but the word that I hear is that they will be DGLE.

Arnold sold an FP-7/FP-9 in PRR.  It was a pretty good runner, but very noisy.

Life-Like sold a plastic frame FP-7 (at least LL thought it was one) in PRR DGLE.  I never bought one, so I never checked the number to see if it was for an FP-7 or a freight F-7.

David Leonard

No, the Pennsylvania had no F7 A units painted red.  As brokemoto, says, they did have some FP7's in Tuscan. However, the FP A-B-A sets came with F7 B units. Two of the B units were painted red.

taz-of-boyds

Could someone post an annotated photo that shows the basic differences between an F7 and FP7?  (I am mostly steam, and still learning a lot about that!)

Thanks,
Charles

PS, Thanks Brokemoto!!

brokemoto

The FP-7 is an F-7 to which EMD added forty-eight inches in length.  EMD did this to accomodate the steam generator for passenger work.  For some reason, there was not enough room in an F-7A for a s/g.  Curious, since the F-3A did have enough room for a s/g.

The FP-7B units did not receive any special treatment, as there was enough room in the B for a s/g.

The FP-9 also was four feet longer than the freight F-9.  Original FP-9s only operated in Canada and Mejico.  The Northwestern did have some FP-9s that EMD constructed partly out of FT components.