News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

F9 sound

Started by coupman35, March 21, 2013, 04:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coupman35

Well am new here and like to get info look like of good info in here .I have a few F9 loco older one dc and id like to get some sound in them nothing big just basic sound noise for now..What will i need as sound decoder or decoder board .Any info be great thanks .
Also ID like to no what is my other loco where can i but a pic up so some one can tell me what it is

bapguy

I use Tsunami myself. Part # 858020. You will need a speaker as well.A .75" speaker and encloser might fit in the back of the shell. This decoder has the keep alive caps built in as well as the resisters for using LED's. Locsound makes sound decoders as well. MRC has a new series of decoders that are less pricey than Soundtraxx or Locsound. Make sure the motor is islolated from the frame elcetrically. Accu-lites sells Soundtraxx and Locsound decoders as well as speakers. Tony's train exchange and MB Klein sell all three brands. All have good pricing and service.  Joe   

richg

Quote from: coupman35 on March 21, 2013, 04:30:05 PM
Well I am new here and like to get good info in here .I have a few F9 loco older one dc and I would like to get some sound in them nothing big just basic sound noise for now..What will I need as sound decoder or decoder board .Any info be great thanks .
Also I would like to know what is my other loco. Where can put up a pic so some one can tell me what it is

Use Photo Bucket to post pictures here. Just follow the instructions at the site. When you want to post the photo, there will be four possible links. You want the fourth one at the bottom of the list. It will be, IMG. Copy and paste into the message body. If you open two browsers, that makes it a lot easier.

http://photobucket.com/

Bachmann uses the SoundTraxx Tsunami so that is what I will suggest. Older locos, how old, will determine how much you have to do. Possibly some frame milling and soldering of wires.
Just a guess but don't expect plug and play.

I have fit 28mm round speakers and 16mm x 35mm speakers and baffles into HO scale diesels.

Rich

coupman35

Thanks guys now will this unit work whit the tsunami .Quantum Engineer Sound Activator: Run your Sound Equipped train in DC mode

coupman35

Quote from: bapguy on March 21, 2013, 05:31:50 PM
I use Tsunami myself. Part # 858020. You will need a speaker as well.A .75" speaker and encloser might fit in the back of the shell. This decoder has the keep alive caps built in as well as the resisters for using LED's. Locsound makes sound decoders as well. MRC has a new series of decoders that are less pricey than Soundtraxx or Locsound. Make sure the motor is islolated from the frame elcetrically. Accu-lites sells Soundtraxx and Locsound decoders as well as speakers. Tony's train exchange and MB Klein sell all three brands. All have good pricing and service.  Joe   
I search for tsunami part 858020 no macth for that number is that the right number

bapguy

Phat phinger tie ping. Should be 828020. Joe

coupman35

Thanks .Can you still use your dc power pack whit this and just get a sound unit just to run the sound ,Whit sound unit will work whit it also.Does  it have to be a soundtraxx system .Am still new at this just trying to get as much info before i bye any thing thanks

bapguy

These should be a dual mode decoder. They will work on DC as long as it it straight DC. Go to Soundtraxx web site and down load their decoder manual for the Tsunami. The sounds are limited on DC.  MRC has a DC system that will work the sounds. Bachmann has their EZ DCC system that is a very basic one but will work functions Fo to F8.  Joe

coupman35

Am woundering if it not better to get a other loco that is already for the sound .Am shure i can find one somewhere for a good price .I dont like to pay too much for one .Which sound unit will run just about any sound decoder.

jward

I would tend to agree with you. many of the older f9s have the infamous pancake motor which wasn't very good or reliable. you'd hate to invest all that money to install dcc and sound only to have the motor crap out on you.

perhaps the new dcc sound f7s would fit the bill? I've seen them for around $100 apiece online. or an alco fa2?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Quote from: coupman35 on March 23, 2013, 12:00:25 PM
Am wondering if it not better to get another loco that is already for the sound . Am sure i can find one somewhere for a good price . I don't like to pay too much for one .Which sound unit will run just about any sound decoder.

Your best bet is to get one with sound on board.
Micro Mark has good prices as does The Favorite Spot.
There are a variety of different brands that are DCC ready for sound but not having experience with sound installs, it can still be a challenge.
The Favorite Spot and Micro Mark both have Bachmann locos with sound but might not be the type of diesel you like and have good prices. I have bought from both.
Below is a good link about DCC and sound to store in Favorites. Take your time and read all the links. There is a lot on good DCC info.

http://www.mrdccu.com/curriculum/soundtraxx/tsunami.htm

Rich

coupman35

Well after seaching i found this anyone try it yet HO  SOUND W/WIRELESS CONTROLLER MRC1007 it look like it can be used whit just the dc lolco .