News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Baldwin HO 2-8-0

Started by Rod in PA, March 26, 2013, 11:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod in PA

Hello to all,
Does anybody out there have any experience or know anything about Bachmann's new DCC equipped  2-8-0 Consolidation (not the Spectrum version)?  I've searched the Bachmann site for a parts diagram and found nothing.  I've searched the web for any reviews of this locomotive and again found nothing.
I would like to add a 2-8-0 to my roster of Bachmann steam and diesel locos which are now all DCC and sound equipped.  I'm trying to determine if this 2-8-0 can be readily converted to DCC with sound?  For example, does the tender have a molded in speaker mount, does the light board support a plug-and-play type NMRA socket, is there enough room in the tender for the addition of the sound electronics, and so on?
Also, any info on the performance or running characteristics of this loco would be helpfull.  This engine seems to be pretty well detailed from the on-line pictures I've seen of it. 
For Mr. Bachmann, is there any chance that the new DCC Equipped 2-8-0 parts diagram is the same as the DCC Ready Spectrum 2-8-0?
Thanks to all in advance for any info and help.
Rod in PA   

richg

Check the Ho seeker site. He a lot of Bachmann diagrams.

RICH

bapguy

I have one that is DCC equipped. It has an 8 pin plug on the PC board in the tender and a 1" hole in tender floor for a speaker. You must remove the PC board and possibly the weights to install the speaker. I run diesels but run the Conny just for the fun of it. It's a good running loco. I put in a heavy steam decoder in mine. Joe

richg

Have you opened the tender? That is the first thing you should do. Look at the bottom of the tender. Do you see any speaker holes?
There should be a two wire and four wire connector set between the loco and tender.
You should give more info in a message and many times a photo will help a lot.

I looked at the Spectrum line of 2-8-0 and I see three different tender configurations.
I have to assume you got your 2-8-0 in a set and seem to think it is not a Spectrum loco.

Rich

bapguy

The diagram for the 2-8-0 with sound is the one to look at. This is the tender that came with my DCC on board loco. In the lower left corner is the diagram of the weights. If there is a hole in the bottom, this will be sound ready. To remove the tender shell, there is a screw under the front axle on the front truck that needs to be removed (remove the axle first). The tender front is then lifted up and the 2 tabs on the rear should come out of the wholes. Joe.

richg

Looking at your message again, you probably do not have the loco yet so just post exactly which one you are interested in. Part number.
From what I see in the Bachmann online product list, all the 2-8-0 are DCC.
No idea about the sets though.

Rich

Rod in PA

Thanks for the inputs so far.

Rich, I checked HO Seeker and all of the 2-8-0 diagrams are for Spectrum and earlier models.  The 2-8-0 I'm referring to are the new DCC Equipped models first introduced in Bachmann's 2012 catalog item #51307 thru #51313.  I'm not looking at any particular one because I'll have to change the road name and number to match my branch line.

Joe, is your 2-8-0 one of the above item numbers?  If so, you pretty much answered my questions about converting it to sound, and all I'll have to do is determine which one will be easier to rename and renumber.

Thanks again,
Rod

richg

Quote from: Rod in PA on March 26, 2013, 05:09:03 PM
Thanks for the inputs so far.

Rich, I checked HO Seeker and all of the 2-8-0 diagrams are for Spectrum and earlier models.  The 2-8-0 I'm referring to are the new DCC Equipped models first introduced in Bachmann's 2012 catalog item #51307 thru #51313.  I'm not looking at any particular one because I'll have to change the road name and number to match my branch line.

Joe, is your 2-8-0 one of the above item numbers?  If so, you pretty much answered my questions about converting it to sound, and all I'll have to do is determine which one will be easier to rename and renumber.

Thanks again,
Rod

That is really a Spectrum downgraded to a standard. The Bach-Man mentioned that downgrade at least a year or more ago. I think I have the thread somewhere.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,19842.0.html

For a little while it was listed in the Standard line but is now back in the Spectrum line.
I searched out part number, 51307 and found some descriptions.
The DCC onboard shows the same tender but it does not show a speaker opening under the weight but there might be a speaker opening as someone said.

When you said new, I figured 2013 that is why more details can help a lot.
Some threads here seem to go on for a while because of limited details or no pictures of the item.

What your particular one will have for a tender speaker opening is anybodies guess. You will be able to plug in a sound decoder using the 8 pin NMRA connector.
With the Tsunami, TSU-1000, you can unplug the present connector from it and plug in an 9 pin to 8 pin adapter.
Look at the below link. If yours is ready for a 28mm speaker, fairly easy. Cut the caps on the PC board. They will be labeled C1, C2, etc.

http://www.garbo.org/MRR/2-8-0con.html

Rich

bapguy

No. I bought mine 2 years ago. Mine was the standard line. Try asking the place you're buying ot from if it has the hole in the tender floor. I can't see Bachmann re doing the tender for the new run and not using the style I have. Joe

richg

Quote from: bapguy on March 26, 2013, 05:50:21 PM
No. I bought mine 2 years ago. Mine was the standard line. Try asking the place you're buying ot from if it has the hole in the tender floor. I can't see Bachmann re doing the tender for the new run and not using the style I have. Joe

It all depends on what is a new line and what is on the shelf of a Hobby shop or distributor and how long it has been on the shelf.
This stuff is made in China. Bachmann is known to vary in their products. I have been watching the Bachmann forums and the different products that Bachmann is selling.
Some distributors will take time to open the box and look. Some have said , they cannot do that. They claim the product could be considered, used if they did that. Go figure. It has happened to a few people.
I did see a 2-8-0 with the Vandy tender and DCC ready but no speaker opening. No idea if that particular one is in the list of part numbers you supplied.

Rich

jonathan

FYI, the Favorite Spot has sound on board versions available for direct sale AND for auction.  Also, versions without sound on board do not come with a speaker hole in the tender.  I'm bidding on a seventh Connie as we speak. can,t get enough of these locos.

I would install sound with a Tsunami medium steam TSU-1000.  It will easily fit in the tender.

The standard versions are the same as the Spectrum, save for the packaging and, perhaps, the motor. I don't know the motor is different for sure.  looks the same to me.

regards,

Jonathan

bapguy

Mine did have the hole for the speaker. How ever, on mine the coal load is removeable and a speaker will fit under the load. Joe

richg

Quote from: jonathan on March 26, 2013, 06:11:23 PM
FYI, the Favorite Spot has sound on board versions available for direct sale AND for auction.  Also, versions without sound on board do not come with a speaker hole in the tender.  I'm bidding on a seventh Connie as we speak. can,t get enough of these locos.

I would install sound with a Tsunami medium steam TSU-1000.  It will easily fit in the tender.

The standard versions are the same as the Spectrum, save for the packaging and, perhaps, the motor. I don't know the motor is different for sure.  looks the same to me.

regards,

Jonathan

The Bach Man did say in a thread about a year ago that the Connie then came with a high performance three pole motor. Search the forums. I know I have bookmarked the thread somewhere.

I just have so many bookmarks it is hard to keep them cataloged correctly.

Found it. Maybe that will keep opinion out of the way.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,4500.0.html

Rich

Pacific Northern

The Bachmann 2-8-0 that came with the Vandy tender was a Union Pacific model. It was released in the Spectrum version and was a DCC on board version.

I had two of these which I bought on a e-bay. I was not looking for Union Pacific, just vandy tenders, They were fine engines.

They were released just before Bachmann released a number of their tenders individually.

In fact it turned out that there is/was a small Union Pacific collectors group that would and did pay a lot of money for both of these.

Bachmann has released a number of small run Heavy Mountains, in the GN and SP roadnames, I have both of these.
Pacific Northern

Rod in PA

Thanks to everyone for your inputs.

It sounds like buying something site unseen, in this case a Bachmann 2-8-0, means you don't know what you're going to get until you actually receive it.  Many product descriptions these days, including the Bachmann 2-8-0, are pretty generic and vague and leave out a lot of the details that we model railroader consumers would normally use to base our purchasing decisions.  In the case of the 2-8-0,  the unknown production changes, the numerous versions that may be on store shelves, and the lack of a full detailed description of the current advertised product leaves me doubtful if I'll make a purchase of this product any time soon.

Thanks again for your help,
Rod