News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

No traction >:(

Started by PRRThomas11, August 20, 2007, 06:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRRThomas11

I have an engine, Model Power pacific, that doesnt run up the hills on my train layout. It doesn't have traction tires. What should I do?
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

conradin

Franz T

Ah yes, the old Ajin Pacific by Model Power. Korean design at its finest.... ;D
Seriously, this is not a bad engine, I have one from the early production run.
They just have no pulling power. A few years ago, MP offered them with traction tires as an option; I believe they now all come with traction tires from the factory. Contact Model Power (http://www.modelpower.com). they should be able to supply you with a set of  tires

HTH

Franz T

PRRThomas11

How would I get them on? Theres no way I could take the driving rods off. Plus right next to the wheel is the would be brake there no way a traction tire would fit in between that and the wheel.
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

taz-of-boyds

I just checked the MP site could not find the kit, I like their loco's but the site stinks.

For the MP Pacific.  I have seen the traction tires advertised like this:

Steam Add-ons:
Driver Set w/Traction Tire (Retro-Kit) -- 73" Diameter for 4-6-2 Pacific P/N: 7398
(this was on wig-wag trains site...)

This kit seems to include a new driver set (wheels & axel), which would be necessary, because the wheels need a little groove to hold the tire in place.  If the wheel already has a groove, you can just replace the tire.  There is contact info for parts on the MP site.

To install the part, you will need to do some disassembly, including disconnecting the push rod.  I don't know how it works on that loco.  If no one has an answer, I would contact MP from their web site.

Be careful, have fun,
Charles

brokemoto

Model Power has issued its USRA light pacifics and mikados with traction tyres.  They are not easy to find, but Brooklyn Locomotive Works does sell them. 

MP did offer a retro-fit for both the mikado and pacific.  The problem was that this retro-fit was extremely difficult.  It came to grief for most who tried it.  Because of this,  MP ceased selling the retro-fit.

Sad, becasue the retro-fit on the Kato mikado takes less than ten minutes, after the first time.

MP has runnability down.  Unfortunately, their 1970s construction methods hampers the operability.

Inder

I have that same Model Power model and I deal with the same traction problems.
Compared to my spectrum 2-8-0 it is no match.  Which is weird because The Metal Power loco is bigger and heavier and you would think it would have better traction.  I guess it comes down to less drive wheels = less traction. 

kevin2083

the spectrum 2-8-0 has traction tires on the rear 2 drivers
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||