Tender connections - Baldwin 4-6-0 and Richmond 4-4-0

Started by Searsport, April 04, 2013, 07:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, I just found a bit of good news on the connections compatibility issue.  I was comparing the cab floor heights of the high and low boiler 4-6-0s with each other and with various spectrum tenders when I noticed that the tender connections on the low boiler 4-6-0 and the Richmond 4-4-0 tender are the same way round, so out of curiosity I connected the Tsunami tender from Ma & Pa 4-4-0 #6 (Spectrum 85105) to DCC ready Ma & Pa 4-6-0 #27 (Spectrum 82302) and tried it on my programming track.  It worked fine, all functions, correct direction, everything.  I don't think this good news has been mentioned before in the various compatibility lists. 

It provides an easy opportunity for a bit of variety, especially with the painted, unlettered models, as the 4-6-0s have a choice of steel or wood cabs and the Richmond tenders have a choice of coal, wood or oil fuel.

I assume that as the wheel diameters are similar the gearing is also appropriate.  It certainly looks and sounds fine.

I have not tried it with the high boiler, as the cab floor is way too high to match the tender anyway.

Bill.

Pops

Thanks for the info - now if I can just find a 4-6-0 in HO.
I want a Bachmann 4-6-0 Ten-Wheeler in Southern paint with DCC and sound.  Haven't found a new one anywhere yet, not even eBay.
Boo Hoo.  And the hunt continues . . . 

BaltoOhioRRfan

I'm trying to get 2 spectrum Ma & Pa 27s, and a 28, going to swap tender shells with a 27 and resell a 27 with DCC & Sound, the 4-6-0s are getting very rare to find without sound now.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

richg

This might not affect anyone here but I bought a Bachmann USRA medium tender a few years ago to mate with a Bachmann 4-6-0 small driver loco. Did not work. Had to reverse all three functions in the tender and add a 1k resistor for the LED headlight.

Rich

Searsport

The high boiler 4-6-0 for the C&NW comes with a USRA medium coal tender, but I don't have one so I don't know if the tender works with a low boiler 4-6-0.  If it does not that would mean that the pin configuration on the high and low boiler 4-6-0s differs.

I actually bought a pair of Ma & Pa #27 DCC ready, and a pair of #28 with Tsunamis, did a tender swap to give me a #27 and #28 with Tsunamis, and am keeping the left-over pair as spares in case of a mechanical failure of either loco.  I have used the same tactic to give me 4-4-0s #4, #5 & #6 with Tsunamis, taking advantage of MB Klein sales, as the Ma & Pa only had a small fleet and it seems a wise precaution in view of the unpredictability of availability from Bachmann.

To those who seek, on ebay.uk there are a new Southern low boiler 4-6-0 #2006 and a Ma & Pa #28, both Tsunami versions, from AC Models of Eastleigh, a reputable bricks & mortar model train shop, but they are over $300 + postage.  Trainworld also still have Ma & Pa #28. 

My guess, without foundation, is that next time Bachmann re-issue the Tsunami 4-6-0 it will be as #27, as there is not a lot of choice!  However, another option for them would be to issue the Ma & Pa pair fitted with the wood cabs.  I am not aware of any of the decorated 4-6-0s ever being issued with wood cabs, but the B'man must have manufactured then with some intention to use them.  Perhaps someone knows more?

Bill.

richg

The two short connector adapters are required in what I did. The tender came with those receptacles. Those adapters reverse all three functions.
Some locos have the receptacles in the loco.
Some locos have plugs to connect to the tender. The receptacles are in the tender.
Below is a photo of the tender with the two adapters, ready to plug into the loco.

Rich

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Pops on April 04, 2013, 05:32:07 PM
Thanks for the info - now if I can just find a 4-6-0 in HO.
I want a Bachmann 4-6-0 Ten-Wheeler in Southern paint with DCC and sound.  Haven't found a new one anywhere yet, not even eBay.
Boo Hoo.  And the hunt continues . . . 
Pacific Northern