Running Number/ Reference Number Identification

Started by JoeD1611, April 06, 2013, 01:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeD1611

Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum as I recently purchased my first Bachmann model locomotive. It was surprisingly cheap because the previous owner had, for whatever reason, decided to scratch the running number off the locomotive and then tried to return it to Bachmann claiming it was faulty and, of course, it wasn't.

I am now trying to find out what the running number was so that I can get some transfers.

Here are some details of the model:

Standard Class 5
Early BR Emblem
Sprung Buffers
Cab Handrails
Small Tension Lock NEM Couplings

There is also a strange sort of 'curve' at the back of the cab.

The packaging is polystyrene with a dark blue Bachmann Branch Line Box that says 'Model Railways' as well as having the Bachmann Branch Line logo. Unfortunately one side of the box (most likely the one that had the reference number of the locomotive on it) has been torn off.

Any help with identifying the model fully would be much appreciated and if you require any more details please ask.

Thanks in advance.

nfmisso

Hi Joe;

This is Bachmann's USA website, they also have a UK website, where you can probably find better answers to your questions.  http://www.bachmann.co.uk/support.php

In the USA, we try to match the locomotive number with a prototype number, and detail the model to match the real thing.  Most higher quality models in the USA are available with and without numbers for that purpose.

JoeD1611

Well I definitely feel stupid now, I just typed in Bachmann forum into Google and it gave me this one.

Thanks for your help nfmisso

rogertra

Quote from: JoeD1611 on April 06, 2013, 01:24:02 PM
Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum as I recently purchased my first Bachmann model locomotive. It was surprisingly cheap because the previous owner had, for whatever reason, decided to scratch the running number off the locomotive and then tried to return it to Bachmann claiming it was faulty and, of course, it wasn't.

I am now trying to find out what the running number was so that I can get some transfers.

Standard Class 5
Early BR Emblem
Sprung Buffers
Cab Handrails

The packaging is polystyrene with a dark blue Bachmann Branch Line Box that says 'Model Railways' as well as having the Bachmann Branch Line logo. Unfortunately one side of the box (most likely the one that had the reference number of the locomotive on it) has been torn off.

Any help with identifying the model fully would be much appreciated and if you require any more details please ask.

Thanks in advance.

You have all the info in front of you. It's a BR Standard class 5, what more do you need to know?   Why don't you just Google "BR Standard Class 5"?  Google is your friend.

JoeD1611

I'm slightly insulted that you think I would not try to find out the answer for myself in the first place, I have googled every combination of words I can imagine in order to find out what the running number is, that is 'what more do you need to know'.

rogertra

Quote from: JoeD1611 on April 06, 2013, 05:11:05 PM
I'm slightly insulted that you think I would not try to find out the answer for myself in the first place, I have googled every combination of words I can imagine in order to find out what the running number is, that is 'what more do you need to know'.

Pick any number in the Standard class 5 range was my point, if perhaps poorly worded.

Google standard class 5 and pick a number from the series, anyone will do providing the tender matches the loco number you chose.  Be careful as the BR Standard Class 5s had various classes of tenders attached depending on the region they were assigned to and when they were built.

So, all you need to do is match the tender that comes with the Bachmann Class 5 with a loco that had the same tender in the period you model.  A quick Google tells me the Bachmann engine was probably 75069.

This loco here: -

https://www.facebook.com/Br75069

See also: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6kstnPIo3k

Hopefully this helps and sorry I wasn't clearer in my first post.

Doneldon

JoeD-

Welcome to this website. To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing preventing British train fans from coming here or seeking information. The US Bachmann site is certainly busier than the English one, and they aren't clearly distinguished in the Google results, so you have no reason to feel embarrassed about coming here. If anything, it is I who should offer an apology for the rude response you received. And please don't feel insulted, either. We have a few crusty people on here who could benefit from an injection of the milk of human kindness or at least a little more tact and patience, but they mean no harm. Come back whenever you want.
                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on April 06, 2013, 07:50:03 PM
JoeD-

Welcome to this website. To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing preventing British train fans from coming here or seeking information. The US Bachmann site is certainly busier than the English one, and they aren't clearly distinguished in the Google results, so you have no reason to feel embarrassed about coming here. If anything, it is I who should offer an apology for the rude response you received. And please don't feel insulted, either. We have a few crusty people on here who could benefit from an injection of the milk of human kindness or at least a little more tact and patience, but. they mean no harm. Come back whenever you want.
                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

Doneldon

You will notice, even if you didn't bother to mention it, that I  apologised for my poorly written response to his question and I then went on to provide him, to the best of my ability, with the answers he requested.

bobwrgt

Jerrys HO

Doneldon
What are you apologizing for? You did not even reply to the post. No where in the OP post did it say "I tried googling it and found nothing".
As far as what Roger posted, It was correct. Google is your friend. I googled it before Roger and found a ton of answers but could not match up the curve in the back of the cab. A picture is worth a thousand words (now who says that?).
JoeD
Yes there are some posters that sound "crusty" but they are not. Some do not have a lot of time to sit and write a book like other's.
Hope you found your answer from Roger's links as he sounds like he has some knowledge of your type of loco which I do not.
And yes feel free to come back anytime, also there is quite a few UK members on this forum.

Jerry

jbrock27

I love GOOGLE.  I use it for searching over everything else.
Keep Calm and Carry On

BaltoOhioRRfan

if you're trying to get it to the factory painted road number as they are called here in the US this appears that it maybe the engine you are looking for is on this page:

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline&prod=3#

Scroll down to near the bottom with item number being 32-509
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Doneldon

Quote from: rogertra on April 07, 2013, 02:35:58 AM
Doneldon
You will notice, even if you didn't bother to mention it, that I  apologised for my poorly written response to his question and I then went on to provide him, to the best of my ability, with the answers he requested.

roger-

I see where you apologized for your poorly worded response but not for your rude reply. If I missed your apology for your rudeness, please point it out to me.
                                                                 -- D

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: JoeD1611 on April 06, 2013, 01:24:02 PM

Standard Class 5
Early BR Emblem
Sprung Buffers
Cab Handrails

Thanks in advance.

I myself am American but have a couple of Bachmann Branchline engines in my line-up and one recommendation I have for finding the exact cab number of the model is to google the item number that is located on the side of the box where it has the description of the locomotive. It is usually 2 numbers-three numbers (example: 32-550, the 2001 BR Brunswick Green limited edition Tornado) or 2 numbers-three numbers then a letter (example: 32-550A/B/C/K, the newer variants of Bachmann UK's model of Tornado. A=Apple Green, B=Brunswick Green, C=BR Express Blue, K=Collectors club exclusive Works Grey with www.A1steam.com on the tender sides). So if you google the item number you should be able to find out what the cab number was.

JoeD1611

Quote from: rogertra on April 06, 2013, 06:02:00 PM
Quote from: JoeD1611 on April 06, 2013, 05:11:05 PM

Pick any number in the Standard class 5 range was my point, if perhaps poorly worded.

Google standard class 5 and pick a number from the series, anyone will do providing the tender matches the loco number you chose.  Be careful as the BR Standard Class 5s had various classes of tenders attached depending on the region they were assigned to and when they were built.

So, all you need to do is match the tender that comes with the Bachmann Class 5 with a loco that had the same tender in the period you model.  A quick Google tells me the Bachmann engine was probably 75069.

This loco here: -

https://www.facebook.com/Br75069

See also: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6kstnPIo3k

Hopefully this helps and sorry I wasn't clearer in my first post.

My apologies as well. Thank you for the assistance but I did fail to mention that my Class 5 is black whereas 75069 appears to be green, not saying that that means it isn't (wasn't) it but I imagine it would be harder to tell given that it is a different colour.