News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track sources

Started by starmeister, May 09, 2013, 02:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmeister

Using Anyrail, I have designed a proposed first layout.  The layout will be DCC and before I begin the project, I want to have all the track components on hand.  I have a fairly long list of items, including a number of DCC turnouts and crossovers.  Browsing various websites, I get the impression that not all items might be readily available.  I would like to find a reliable source who stocks the complete EZ Track product line.  Does anyone have recommendations for a good on-line source of the Bachmann EZ track N/S?

bapguy

Model Train Stuff (MB Klein) or The Favorite Spot. Because of supply and demand and shipping schedules from China, no one could have all the components in stock at all times. Joe

jbrock27

I see the stuff listed on EBAY frequently. 
Just be careful by looking at pictures carefully and ask questions as needed.  It is a good venue to comparison shop and as a buyer, you have some protections should the deal go sideways or south.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Quote from: bapguy on May 09, 2013, 03:13:22 PM
Model Train Stuff (MB Klein) or The Favorite Spot. Because of supply and demand and shipping schedules from China, no one could have all the components in stock at all times. Joe

The Favorite Spot is on ebay and I have bought from them. There is stuff to bid on or use, Buy It Now. They are reliable.

Rich

mrmtox

My advice from experience: Pick three or four items you need to comparison shop. Enter one at a time into Google and price it at four or five of the standard suppliers; i.e., Favorite Spot, Model Train Stuff, Hobbylinc etc. No one place has all the items and no one place has all the best prices. I have found that, overall, Model Train Stuff has, by far, the best prices and the most complete inventory. I have NO financial interest in MTS whatsoever; am just an avid N and HO scaler. I have also found that, many times, an item listed on eBay can be had cheaper and brand new from one of the suppliers.

jbrock27

GOOGLE searching is a great suggestion.  One can also search for a specific item and filter it by "low to high price with shipping" via "SHOPZILLA" and AMAZON.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

I buy from eBay MTS and sometimes Toy Train Heaven.

Pops

I agree with most of these suggestions, except The Favorite Spot.  I've had very bad experiences with them.  From what I can tell, it's hit or miss with them.  I would steer clear of them.

Jerrys HO

Wow Pops,
That is the first negative thing I have ever heard about The Favorite Spot. :o I would have to say about 80% of my stuff is from there and only had one issue that was resolved quickly. :) It was actually Bachmann's fault for packaging an analog loco in a DCC on board box. ??? Sorry to hear about your problem's with them.

Jerry

jbrock27

Yea Pops, what happened with you and Favorite Spot?  Can you elaborate?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Pops

Yes, that was my first negative post.  I probably over reacted, so I'll just respond about my last dealings with them.
I was going to bid on one of his listings, but it wasn't very clear.  I emailed a question and got no answer.  Four days later, I repeated the email, thinking it might not have gone through. Totally unexpected, I got this flaming email back about stuff like - I already answered that - how dare I repeat an email - and various petty BS.  Those of you that know me, know that I'm pretty laid back and  was really caught of guard as to what brought this on.  I figured he was just having a bad day (it was during this past Christmas season) so I just ignored it.  Wish I had kept the email - it was real venom.  Anyway, I  decided to take a risk and bid on the item.  To my surprise, he blocked my account as a problem customer.  Now that's on my ebay record and all I did was repeat an email.

I'm probably over sensitive, but it really bothered me for a while. Especially since I do a lot of buying on ebay.  It's the only time I've ever had anything like that with any dealer - ebay or other.  It's left a bad taste so when I hear about that place, I'll never react positive.  Since that time, talking with a few others about it, I've heard mixed comments about them.  With so many dealers out there, it's no great loss to me, not to do business with them, but I sure wish they hadn't ruined my perfect record on ebay - especially over nothing.

I'll just let it go at that.
Caveat Emptor.

jbrock27

Pops, is there a reason to be concerned over being blocked on EBay? I would not sweat it ;).  And I certainly would not allow that to effect you asking a seller questions in the future.  I am up to about 4 blocks myself.  It says more about the integrity of the seller than it says anything about me and it saves me from potentially dealing with a cretin seller in the future when I am looking for something.  A pawn shop that sells on EBay, did the same thing to me that you described.
When I have bought from The Favorite Spot, I bought from them thru AMAZON so bidding and questions were not a factor.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Pops-

Being blocked on eBay doesn't mean anything. No one else can find out. The only bad thing would be if he let you bid on the item, you won it and then he could give you negative feedback. That would show up and would affect your percentage. So you're completely in the clear. I've been blocked by a few sellers. maybe three or so, and I've blocked maybe ten to protect myself from a potentially vindictive person who might want to screw up my 100% positive. One guy from whom I bought eight or nine things from, all positive experiences, blocked me for some reason I cannot imagine. It's too bad, too, because he has had a few other things I would have liked to bid on. And I can't even ask him what the problem is because communication is cut off when someone blocks a bidder.

I've not had a bad experience with Favorite Spot myself, but there have been reports about somebody blowing up there on rare occasion in the past. I think they may have just one cranky person who can be difficult. You do have the option of sending a regular email or snail mail letter to the FavSpt telling them about your experience. That would give them a chance to make things right with you and maybe talk with the problem employee, if there is one. Of course, you're out of luck if the problem employee is the owner or manager. I don't think I'd like to read the response you might get to that complaint letter!
                                                         -- D

jbrock27

As a point of information, EBay Sellers are more concerned about Negative Feedback left for them, than Buyers should be.  It is very difficult for a Seller to leave Negative Feedback for a Buyer.  To me, this results in an added layer of consumer protection for the Buyer.
Keep Calm and Carry On